Strand patt 252

church

I have the opportunity to buy a working - including lamp - patt 252 effects projector but it only has a couple of wheels but it does have two lenses and the rotaion disk assembly. I was thinking of projecting clouds with it on a small stage. Are these units worth buying at this point. I have not used one in a long time but the opportunity to own one came up unexpectedly

If you think it's good value and it works for what you want , then why not?

Many old and "obsolete" lighting instruments, if the price is reasonable, still perform useful service.

Recently I bought 10 CCT Sil 30s for the price of one new modern 1K profile spot.

I know which, for me, was the better option.

Cheers

Gerry

Make sure to check the quality of the disc, they were hand painted and very hard to re-touch.

Good to know I had not thought too much about the disk so it is good to know what to watch out for.

The unit only comes with one textured glass wheel so I would have to buy a disk from Usedlighting. The price of the disk is twice what the seller wants for the 252, the rotator and the two lenses. It is in good shape the lamp works and, the rotator does not have asbestos wiring but the 252 does - it is from the sixties - silver grey paint although the rotator is new with the green paint.

Make sure to check the quality of the disc, they were hand painted and very hard to re-touch.

Good to know I had not thought too much about the disk so it is good to know what to watch out for.

The unit only comes with one textured glass wheel so I would have to buy a disk from Usedlighting. The price of the disk is twice what the seller wants for the 252, the rotator and the two lenses. It is in good shape the lamp works and, the rotator does not have asbestos wiring but the 252 does - it is from the sixties - silver grey paint although the rotator is new with the green paint.

This sounds like a bargain to me (but then I like efffects projection).

If you are getting another disc be sure to get one compatable with the older motor units, these have four holes in them a large centre hole & three at 120 degress. The newer discs (since the late 90s) only have a single centre hole and are only compatible with the VSFX style motor units.

You will also require a 'spider' to mount the disc to the shaft of the motor unit, often you can take these from another disc, however all the textured glass discs I've seen, (apart from those I've made myself), have had a different mounting mechanism so this may not be possible for you.

Although all discs were handpainted (apart from the textured glass) up to the mid 60s after this they phased in ones produced with a photographic film bonded onto the glass. They can however still be scratched or burnt out and need touching up.

The textured discs are poorly documented if you could post a picture it would be intresting and I could confirm whether you needed a spider.

Shane

This sounds like a bargain to me (but then I like efffects projection).

If you are getting another disc be sure to get one compatable with the older motor units, these have four holes in them a large centre hole & three at 120 degress. The newer discs (since the late 90s) only have a single centre hole and are only compatible with the VSFX style motor units.

You will also require a 'spider' to mount the disc to the shaft of the motor unit, often you can take these from another disc, however all the textured glass discs I've seen, (apart from those I've made myself), have had a different mounting mechanism so this may not be possible for you.

Although all discs were handpainted (apart from the textured glass) up to the mid 60s after this they phased in ones produced with a photographic film bonded onto the glass. They can however still be scratched or burnt out and need touching up.

The textured discs are poorly documented if you could post a picture it would be intresting and I could confirm whether you needed a spider.

Shane

I have attached a link for the projector you can see a picture of the effects disk it has three holes in a 120 degree pattern. This is a 5 minute walk from where I work

http://kitchener.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-...QAdIdZ159045941

At C$50 (£30.70), for what appears to be a pristine P252 c/w wheels, that is a bargain. Either the unit has not been out very much or those Canadians sure know how to look after their kit!

Richard

Thanks for the pictures,

It appears this is a slightly different design textured glass wheel from those I've seen before which does use the standard spider. You could remove it from this disc and use it with the clouds.

There also appears to be the turntable mount for the slide carrier in the pictures (on the back of the 2 1/2" lens).

Shane

At C$50 (£30.70), for what appears to be a pristine P252 c/w wheels, that is a bargain. Either the unit has not been out very much or those Canadians sure know how to look after their kit!

A bit of both I suspect. The rental shop used it exclusively for ice shows and they look after their stuff. The unit does have asbestos wiring on it by the way. Straightforward to replace when you do it the correct way. Inside the original black paint is not even discoloured by the lamp heat.

• 2 weeks later...

Thats a great price for a 252, over here in the UK I've seen them change hands for £100, projector only - no effect. The fact that it's a silver one is a plus point, Green Strand kit is more recent, was produced at the Bell & Howell works after Strand became fully enmeshed with RPI and is generally poorer in construction and the green paint finish is awful.

Don't worry excessivly about asbestos, it is used in most kit of this era (normally in the expansion packing under the lampholder) but it is a very good at what it does. If you do need to remove it to service the lantern wear a suitable mask and preferably wet the asbestos before handling to damp down the fibres.

Best Tony

Archived