Off axis projector

johnb

I rarely work in churches, but I've done it enough to know that the core problem with video installs is much the same as in night clubs in that so called "professionals" will quote £90,000+ for a fully digital HD install, the priest / owner will faint and then a volunteer / bouncer will claim to be able to do it all for £1000 (because he has a projector at home that was only £400). So I guess this is a plea for the middle ground! Work out your available budget, and then spend it sensibly. Spend more than you might expect on rigging to get the projector and screen in the correct place and you'll get a much better image than if you blow the budget on an expensive projector and then have to mount it on top of an old pile of books because you don't have the cash for a wall mount!

Amen to that Brother ;) :rolleyes: It's a problem we often come against, and will put our hands up and let them go down that route if they so feel it the best way to proceed. That said there are churches out there that have people that do know their stuff.

The photo show the current arrangement of the projector from a floor stand onto the central screen that can raise and lower. What I was looking at was using the while spaces either side above the doors to project onto. As I've said, projecting from the back would probably be possible, however the cost of that throw would probably mean going for a single projector onto the central screen still. I was hoping that using two smaller (hopefully more standard) projectors would bring the costs down. As you can see we do have fun with daylight in the space. We now have blinds fitted to the worst windows which helps, and using the current projector has been useful in getting a feel of what brightness we need.

The image gives enough of a feel for the problems your struggling with. If as you say, you've gone for blinds to help control the light, then that is a good start. You may find that some of the installation series units from Hitachi have lens shift and interchangeable lenses, so may enable you to mount on the side wall and achieve a level of lens shift and keystone to work, or offer a longer throw option.

Once again, thank you all for your suggestions, and would welcome any more thoughts people have.

From looking at your picture, I'm not sure why you're proposing going to a 2-screen arrangement, as you don't appear to have major sightline problems, i.e. the building isn't very wide, and you don't suffer from the pillars that afflict many churches.

Your current projector is kind of in the way there at the front, of course, which I'm sure you are aware of.

In your situation, and with a reasonable, but not excessive budget, I'd look to get a decent 5,000 lumen-ish projector with the apropriate long throw lens mounted at the back of the building. Possibly raise the screen a little, and possibly enlarge it a little.

But this arrangement should be visible to all in the venue, remove obstructions, and give a little more ammunition against the sunlight, though that is best tackled with blinds.

Hi there

we have come across this before in churches. the best option is to have the projector hanging in the middle of the screen but if you cant do this here is a great tool.

most of the projectors that can do this run in to about the £2.5k mark

but what we have found is a box by Kramer called kramer vp-728 we sell it for about £700 plus the vat

and it can do more keystone than any projector I have come across.

it will also do all you upscaling and switching and give you VGA DVI or Video out.

works great for not that much cash and you can use it wit any projector.

hope this helps

jason

I'd recomend a Sony VPL-FX40,which has a considerable shift,and circa 4,000 ansi lumens;this projector has a huge keystone range,btw.

Should you need to resize the picture beyond projector specs,I recomend Folsom Presentation Pro I.

The only problem with that is that Barco now own Folsom, and that the Presentation Pro II has been replaced by the DCS100 and DCS200.

I know,Pete;I was about to recomend EXtron MGP462,but decided on Presentation Pro I,for being a very user-friendly switcher.DCS models are nice,but anything less than two scallers can be short for the events we have these days now.It's not unusual to have to resize image because the customer didn't tell the tech dept how was the room,where to put the projectors,where to hang the screens and so on.Whenever possible we set everything the right way with no shift to avoid deforming image.

Prices apart,I recomend the ex-Folsom Screen-Pro II,an excellent piece of gear! ;)

Hi John, just picked up on the thread.

I do a lot of work on projection systems in churches and I agree with Tom that NECs with 3D reform can do a great job in awkward positions/angles. Also agree that a single central projector might be a good option to consider.

However, it's also best to get an on site opinion and I'd be more than happy to visit to give no obligation advice depending on your location.

If you're interested do let me know where you're based and I'll see what can be arranged.

Martyn

Archived