Suitable Lighting - for Video Greenscreen

lightingtec

Hi Blueroomers

I need to light a LARGE greenscreen for full body shots and wonder if anyone has some recommendations for suitable fixtures they've used to give even illumination on both backdrop and floor screens. In addition to illuminating the screen I need to overcome some spill from subject lighting.

Many thanks in advance.

Soft and wide is the key (sorry). Asymetric floods work well, as do Fresnels on wide. The shadow problem is just handled by making sure the subject is far enough away so shadows either don't fall on the background, or if they do, they're soft enough to fill in. Distance from the screen is the best solution. Oddly, flu tubes, due to their length can also do a reasonable job, just make sure you use tubes with colour temperature to match the rest of the lighting - usually 3000K, 3200K and 5500K are commonly available.

There are some useful tips from a manufacturers site here;

http://www.kinoflo.com/FYI/FAQs.htm#3

I am also quite a fan of their kit. I would slightly disagree with Paul though, assuming you are illuminating the screen and actor separately, then it may not be necessary to use tubes of the same colour temperature for the screen as the actor, in fact, there may be advantages in not doing so - primarily to help the saturation of the background.

However, as an alternative, have you considered the reflective media systems? They use a ring of appropriately coloured LEDs around the camera lens and a flexible background which works like the material road signs are coated with. I've found these pretty easy to set up, get an even, saturated background.

Interesting slant - didn't ever think of it that way. I must admit that since I started using Ultra - when it wasn't part of Adobe - I've spent far lees time getting greenscreen working well - even shadows aren't the grief they used to be.

I used a hired in reflective screen and LED ring for one job, and was quite impressed - and it did save loads of time.

I used a hired in reflective screen and LED ring for one job, and was quite impressed - and it did save loads of time.

Another vote for Chromatte/Litering - a wonderful system and it can be hired in relatively cheaply.

Do it outdoors and use sunlight. Probably not a helpful suggestion at this time of year but it does work well. Something to consider is a magenta backlight. This can help neutralise any bounce from the screen onto the talent.

Many thanks to all who replied with advice - sorry for delay in responding to your help (thanks to those little chappies at talktalk). We will be purchasing rather than hiring - so budget contraints. Currently using pair 1kW old 743s on flood from 4m and working quite well, but will need to add some additional to help with green floor too. Thanks for comments on reflec. I have used this, but not for this project owing to autocue/lightring mounting.

Will look into other suggestions / links with interest.

Once again, many thanks to all.

Archived