Scroller sizes

sirrus

Hello,

I can't work out what size of scroller I need, or what the sizes actually refer to for that matter (6", 8", 12", 15" e.t.c.). I am trying to work it out for the Strand Selecon Acclaim range, specifically Fresnels and Zoom Profiles (125mm2 gel frame).

It might be that I'm missing something, but I just can't get my head around the measurements at the moment :)

I have consulted the wiki but either missed or didn't find what I was looking for.

Cheers,

It's the size of the scroller aperture - in other words, the lens size of the fixture you're using it with.

For something as small as a 125mm gel frame, a 6" scroller is what you're looking for. Anything else would be too big and heavy. What are the tilt locks like on the Acclaims? Will they lock the unit off really solidly? A scroller, even a small one, adds a lot of weight to the front of the unit, and unless you can lock the units off really tightly you'll just end up with a whole bunch of droopy lanterns ....

It's the size of the scroller aperture - in other words, the lens size of the fixture you're using it with.

For something as small as a 125mm gel frame, a 6" scroller is what you're looking for. Anything else would be too big and heavy. What are the tilt locks like on the Acclaims? Will they lock the unit off really solidly? A scroller, even a small one, adds a lot of weight to the front of the unit, and unless you can lock the units off really tightly you'll just end up with a whole bunch of droopy lanterns ....

Brilliant :) - Just what I was hoping for, thanks a lot Gareth,

As for the tilt locks in all honesty I wouldn't know first hand, not ever having used scrollers with them before, If it helps, they have never drooped over long periods of time (months) before with gel frames and barn doors in place but I guess that weight when compared to a scroller is significantly less!

It's easy to check. If the lantern is focussed can you heavy on the front ot back and force it up or down. As in poking it with a pole or brace - something we often do to cheat a lantern up or a down a bit. If they have good clamps that resist this kind of thing, scrollers will be fine. Others seem to be only just tight enough, even when done up as tight as they'll go. A few makes have those spring loaded turn-over clamps that let the over heavy front ends droop after a year or two and the springs get a bit weak. Stick a scroller on these and they dive!

I don't know what the Acclaims are like, but our Strand Preludes and Cantatas allow you to move the poisition the of the yoke backwards and forwards. If we were to attach one of our scrollers to one of our FOH Cantatas, for example, we could alleviate the problem of the lamp drooping by moving the yoke, and therefore the balance point, forwards. Hope this helps

We have a shedload of Acclaims and Pacifics, and I have just measured and the aperture in an Acclaim gel frame is only 4 inches - so a six inch scroller might actually be larger than you need if you can get smaller.

The locking isn't outstanding, they have the same handle as the larger Pacific, but rather than locking onto a slip ring they lock directly to the pivot so they will move with force. The yoke does slide up and down, so you could adjust the point of balance, but the further forward you go, the sooner the back of the unit fouls the yoke - so you won't be able to face them straight down much beyond halfway down the unit.

Be aware, the size of the aperture will affect the maximum beam angle thus achievable from the unit.

By this I mean, if you put a 6" scroller on a 50 degree profile, the beam will be substantially cut down. I recall putting an 8" Croma-Q scroller on a Cantata F and flooding the beam and getting nothing more past halfway.

You should be alright with a 6" scroller on an Acclaim, as long as you can ge tthe right backing plate for the scroller. On the Pacific's be aware of the beam angle of the light and adjust scroller size to suit.

Archived