Advice on a good active sub to go with EVs

bonzodog99

Due to a sudden increase in larger gigs, I am in urgent need of some subs. I currently use a pair of EV SX300's powered by a crown amp and whilst I know some people think the EV sound is rather hard, I am very happy with the overall quality. I have looked into staying with EV and either going for one EV SBA760 or a pair of EV SB2A's (the second option means I can eliminate my amp and power the SX300's off the dual built in amp.

However, in all honesty either way I am looking at over 1000.00 quid brand new, and I have nowhere near that budget. I need the speakers to do the gigs, but can't afford them until I have done the gig's.

Does anybody have any recommendations for a decent powered sub (single or a pair) that would be good quality (I have had low budget RCL's before and they were dreadful), and also go well with my SX300's. I would prefer to use powered as they are more transportable and have built in crossover. Budget I suppose I could stretch to 500.00 quid, and I would just be putting vocals, guitar and backing tracks off an MD through them.

Thanks in advance.

Due to a sudden increase in larger gigs, I am in urgent need of some subs. I currently use a pair of EV SX300's powered by a crown amp and whilst I know some people think the EV sound is rather hard, I am very happy with the overall quality. I have looked into staying with EV and either going for one EV SBA760 or a pair of EV SB2A's (the second option means I can eliminate my amp and power the SX300's off the dual built in amp.

However, in all honesty either way I am looking at over 1000.00 quid brand new, and I have nowhere near that budget. I need the speakers to do the gigs, but can't afford them until I have done the gig's.

Does anybody have any recommendations for a decent powered sub (single or a pair) that would be good quality (I have had low budget RCL's before and they were dreadful), and also go well with my SX300's. I would prefer to use powered as they are more transportable and have built in crossover. Budget I suppose I could stretch to 500.00 quid, and I would just be putting vocals, guitar and backing tracks off an MD through them.

Thanks in advance.

We currently have for sale form our ex-hire stock 2 x EV TL606 Subs if this is any help. Follow the link below and call us for more info.

www.mmproductions.co.uk/gss.php

Have a look on Ebay... the dynacord equivalent of an SBa760 (exactly the same internally) went for £460 recently. I got an SBa760 for £300 a couple of years ago. Obviously, you have to be careful about Ebay, but generally, the EV/Dynacord stuff are well engineered and the units out there tend to be reliable. My SBa760 is fantasic for it's size, a sturdy box and is on wheels, nice and easy to connect up too! I have SX300's for mid/topand they run together very nicely!

HTH

Richie!

over the years of posting on blue room, there has been a lot of knowledge and expertese passed on, but despite all that, there is always the question of budget, which of course none of us can fix. so. not sure if this is of help, I have a pair of yamaha 1 x 12" subs powered and crossover etc, not rearly sure if they are going to be loud enough, but on another hand they are small and will fit your budget. good luck.

Archived