New Monitors or use old kit?

stevejones

Have a bit of a monitor dilema

Finally sorted out the main band PA and it sounds amazing

Martin Audio 1.4 driving 2 x Nexo PS10

Crest 1K into the Sub

Allen & Heath Desk

But...

What should I be doing for monitors in that I want to keep the cost and quality in line

I have 2 x EV 100SX left over from old kit,

Should I just plonk another power amp in the rack and use those, I could run 2 x Mono Mon mix stright out of the desk

or should I buy a couple of powered wedges, if so any rec?

What should I be doing for monitors in that I want to keep the cost and quality in line

I have 2 x EV 100SX left over from old kit,

Should I just plonk another power amp in the rack and use those, I could run 2 x Mono Mon mix stright out of the desk

or should I buy a couple of powered wedges, if so any rec?

Depends on your requirements and size of the band really, I'm presuming from the quantities you mention in your post you are only looking for two monitor wedges? If so, and you have a spare amp, give it a try with the EVs and see how you get on.

If you're looking at powered cabs, I can really only recommend the HK Darts, superb for their size and money, and they are chuffing loud! Might be worth finding somewhere local that will hire you a pair for a day and doing some comparisons?

I guess ultimatly it depends on the style of band (I preume this rig is primarily used with one band) and/or the singers/musicians preferences as to what they want (or rather, need) to hear and how loud they want to hear it.

James

Archived