which stagebox?

MobileMikey

Hi, im a freelance technician operating mainly musical theater, last year I bought an LS9-32 and im just getting to grips with its capabilities, its a fine piece of machinery, up to now iv been running big analog 16ch multicore cable from FOH to sidestage for orchestra, monitors, mics etc. at every venue. Iv only just read up on cat4 solutions on this site, we're a bit behind in ireland!! anyway my question is this.. Is there any other ethersound stagebox interface type thing out there besides the yamaha sb16/8, iv been looking around but that seems to be the only one out there, dont really know where to look! I need about 16 channels of I/O. Any links to more info about cat4 multicore and speaker cables and any advice on same would be greatly appreciated, thanks, Mick H

Hi, you are asking, "is there any other ethersound stagebox out there" well yes there is. and a lot of optical systems as well if you want to go over a hundered metres or so, but whats wrong with the yamaha one? you can be out of the door with a box and a card for circa £3500.00 . and you will get control of the head amp as well, so its not just about the multi. all of the the others like the roland rss multi, the belden system, etc, all are okay but have a seperate controller for the head amp, so it just becomes a bit mucky.

To be honest, with an LS9 you're probably better off with a "standard" analogue multicore, unless you need a digital multicore system for "lightweight" purposes.

As SPTTRIAL said, it can get a bit mucky with other digital multicore systems.

Saying that, the Roland RSS multicore system I was pretty impressed with. Theres plenty of people who distribute it if you want to get one on demo. Its worth a shot. The only anoying thing is, you will be converting A-D and then D-A again in the multicore alone, and if you think about it, you have just done this in the LS9, and possibly in any digital speaker management system you might have. Thats a lot of D-A and A-D for basically no reson. Depends if you have ears of gold or not.

Anyway my suggestion is that you look around and demo any digital multicores before you buy, and if it were me I'd stay analogue.

Archived