Robe Spot 250AT

OliB150

Hey,

Another new member for your collection!

(I have searched this question, and nothing instantly came up, and I'm not one for having much patience!)

I have 2 Robe Colorspot 250AT's. My problem is, sometimes when I've moved them (as in physically) they seem to forget a lot of their settings. E.g DMX Protocol, Lamp auto strike. And probably some others, but I dont notice those instantly!

Does anyone know what it is I'm doing thats making them forget? Or is it a known fault of any kind?

They wernt even off for that long, maybe a few days, but I've had them off for weeks before and they've started fine!

Thanks in advance for your replies.

I'm not familiar with these fixtures, but it sounds like what you're saying is that they revert to their default settings. As a stab in the dark: Where they exposed to the cold at all (left outside over night for example)? I know there was a frost in some parts recently...

Gareth.

Another stab in the dark... as I'm not too familiar with these fixtures... but I'm sure I remember an (older) mover that has a small internal battery (much like a PC clock battery) that presumably provides enough power to store settings like this ... there's no chance it has one that needs replacing?

As someone who has had plenty experience with 250 AT's I would vouch for the EEPROM. If it's occurring mainly when the fixture is moved, it sounds like the pins may be either broken (and touching intermittently) or the EEPROM is just not sitting correctly.

How old are they?

I'd strip them down and clean then out with a brush and check everything is connected securley

- However Robe's seem to have very thin wiring which is tightly wound - So be careful!!

I would say they were reverting to default settings, but those were the only things I immediately notice!

Where about are these IC's located? I have taken these apart before so am relatively confident with doing it myself.

And before anyone says, they did the same before I took them apart! :blink:

Also, no they wernt left outside, but the heating in my house isnt working atm, so it hasnt been all that warm over night!

The EEPROM is a small IC in a socket on the main board adjacent to the main microcontroller. Robe put their DIL IC's in sockets, you might as well check all of them while you're at it. Take the usual antistatic precautions.

They dont use battery-backup. The EEPROM contains 'user' data such as might deviate from the factory settings..for example DMX address, motor calibration and other parameters.

wiki

In reply to dodge, they are abuot 6 months old (well, in my possession) bought new though direct from robe.

I assume the EEPROM is in the base of the unit? not the head/arms?

Is it the small 8 pin one?

Any chance of the chip number at all?

Also you mention that it stores the DMX address aswell. When I turned them on, they still had the last DMX addresses used, but not the DMX mode or lamp auto strike!

Baffles me, ** laughs out loud **.

Yes the 8-pin one, it will usually have a white sticker on it, under which is something like a 24C64 serial eeprom.

If you have several of these, you could always try swapping it with another, to see if the fault moves, in which case the eeprom may be faulty and have dodgy memory locations. However, this is rare, many lights check the integrity of the eeprom data upon power-up and will report a fault if its corrupt; however I dont know if the Robe does this as I've never had one faulty.

Hmm, there was only the one there, so I took it out, stared at it, put it back in! ** laughs out loud **

Havnt tried it yet, but its an inconsistant fault anyway, only happens on the odd occassion!

Would it be damaging at all to switch it on without the IC in place?

Also, am considering getting one of those compressed air thingy-bobs. Cos they always come out really dusty after use! and theres like tiny specs of dust/dirt on some of the gobo's!

Anyone got any recommendations? Preferably cheap but reliable!

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

[double post ik, but I think they automatically get merged anyway]

found out what the problem was/is.

ME!

turns out dF.SE in the menus is default settings! I thought it was a sensitivity for something!

Never mind, thats that problem sorted! ** laughs out loud **

Also, during my little messing around session, randomly got Po.Er (Power Error) which is aparently "This message will appear if the fixture was shortly disconnect from the main."

How brief does it have to be, I noticed nothing!

Had this error before aswell, just dismissed it!

• 2 weeks later...
Hmm, there was only the one there, so I took it out, stared at it, put it back in! ** laughs out loud **

Havnt tried it yet, but its an inconsistant fault anyway, only happens on the odd occassion!

Would it be damaging at all to switch it on without the IC in place?

Also, am considering getting one of those compressed air thingy-bobs. Cos they always come out really dusty after use! and theres like tiny specs of dust/dirt on some of the gobo's!

Anyone got any recommendations? Preferably cheap but reliable!

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

[double post ik, but I think they automatically get merged anyway]

found out what the problem was/is.

ME!

turns out dF.SE in the menus is default settings! I thought it was a sensitivity for something!

Never mind, thats that problem sorted! ** laughs out loud **

Also, during my little messing around session, randomly got Po.Er (Power Error) which is aparently "This message will appear if the fixture was shortly disconnect from the main."

How brief does it have to be, I noticed nothing!

Had this error before aswell, just dismissed it!

Robe have a solution to your fault. RTFM, I keep getting told to do it all the time

Archived