Floor Cloth

Arad Goch

We currently use a lot of floor cloths for the productions we take into school's and currently go through a huge amount of Gaffer tape to hold it down. I was talking to someone recently who said that they have seen people paint the back of floor cloth's with latex/rubber paint in order to keep the floor cloths in place. I was wandering if anyone here as done this and what product was used and if the result was any good.

Cheers in advance for any advice

Hello

Richard from Flints Theatrical Chandlers here

Are you looking to have a semi perminant instalation here? Because if so then Cyclorama glue is the thing to use in this case. However I suspect that you just want to stop the cloth from sliding around on the schools polished wooden floor in the school hall, yes?

If you have the space then you want to lay the floor cloth out and tape or nail it out to stop any shrink. Then you want to put on a coat of copydex glue, leave to dry and then bingo you'll have a latex like non slip surface to go onto the school floor. You need to leave to fully dry though as otherwise you'll pick up dirt in the copydex.

It will also add a little more weight to the cloth and some more bulk when rolling, I'd always recommend that you roll onto a tube for a probably expensively produced floor cloth.

Have a look at the website www.flints.co.uk for buying or this pdf http://www.flints.co.uk/pdfcatalogue/adhesives.pdf which will give you some more blurb.

Hope this is some help to you, any more questions feel free to email me on richard@flints.co.uk

We currently use a lot of floor cloths for the productions we take into school's and currently go through a huge amount of Gaffer tape to hold it down. I was talking to someone recently who said that they have seen people paint the back of floor cloth's with latex/rubber paint in order to keep the floor cloths in place. I was wandering if anyone here as done this and what product was used and if the result was any good.

Cheers in advance for any advice

and to add to Richard's very comprehensive advice:

yes I've done it, and yes it works.

apply sparingly, and it is very very important to be absolutely sure it's fully dry before trying to roll or fold it, otherwise you will end up with semi-permanent wrinkles

there is also a pre-rubberised cloth available:possibly from McDougalls or Gerriets, I can't quite remember. I've not used this, but I suppose it would be a way of avoiding embarassing wrinkles.

You may have guessed this happened to me on one of the occasions we've done this when we were too impatient....the wrinkles had to become a "design feature" as we couldn't afford to replace the cloth!....

Archived