Stand Mount XLR Socket

TomHoward

Hi

I have just been tasked with replacing a gooseneck mic in a church, and the current setup is into an XLR socket that is pole-mounted, on the top of a straight mic stand. So it's an XLR socket, with a threaded hole in the back for screwing onto a mic stand, and a side-entry cable.

Does anyone know a manufacturer of these? The chaplain likes the current setup, as it is kind of neat, but the stress of the mix on the XLR socket over a number of years has rendered it a very loose connection and it's pretty noisy when touched.

I have had a look through CPC catalogue and a few others but haven't been able to spot what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance

Thanks for the link Andy - what we currently have is very similar to that, only without the gooseneck element to the stand (as the mic is a gooseneck), and the cable comes out the side of the socket at the top and runs down the side.

Are you able to source a fixed one, without the flexible gooseneck, or the spare parts needed to internally wire a straight stand?

That's the blighter - thanks to Paul for illustrating.

DV 24/7 appear to stock them as well.

That's the thing that is currently in place - however the one there isn't a Beyerdynamic unit, it's a cheap(er) looking plastic unit, so I reckon there is more than one manufacturer out there.

I've actually heard word back from them since and heard that they remain happy with the current setup (as a stop gap I just put the new mic on their old stand, it works but given that the socket had become worn/loose over time you got a lot of crackling/pops when adjusting the gooseneck) I had advised that we should replace it. They say it isn't causing any problems though, but I thought if I was able to find a cheap part it wouldn't have been a major job to replace it.

Blimey! Make my £60 appear cheap! To be honest, with access to a lathe, you could knock up something that would attach to a neutrik shell fairly easily. A day with a lathe and a bit of aluminium could produce quite a few of these and they'd sell well for half this price.

Not a bad plan - although I'm not sure how you would attach the strain relief. Those Senny mic stands with an integral XLR in the top and the cable fed down the stand are nice too - you might be able to replicate something similar feeding a cable through a stand and fitting the socket in the top.

Archived