Strong Magnets and Wireless Mics?

hev17

Guest lightnix

I got some 0.5mm thick neodymium magnets recently for "a project".

A conjuring / juggling friend practically fell on his knees and begged me for some, when I happened to mention it in passing. Apparently they're useful for certain card tricks, especially ones where cards rise mysteriously from the pack.

I'm curious as to exactly how you think strong magnets are used in a magic show and just how powerful you think the magnet is....

t

(designs magic shows)

My boss asked me to do some research about a putting an actor with a radio mic in a magnetic box. Obviously I'm asking a stupid question, I just thought I'd ask.

Neo's are powerful for their relative size but you'd struggle to get any recogniseable magnetic effect more than a couple of CM's away and they are the most powerful type of magnet generally available. A neo the size of a cig packet could just about move a nail from a couple of inches away. I wouldn't call that perticularly powerful or strong in any real world situation when the magnets in your speakers or the electromagnetic effect of coiled cables is likely to be considerably more powerful.

It's one of my pet hates that people assume magicians have some "super mega power" magnets that they use for everything - trust me the best we've managed so far is jiggling nails around :-p

It's one of my pet hates that people assume magicians have some "super mega power" magnets that they use for everything - trust me the best we've managed so far is jiggling nails around :-p

Try getting two neo magnets (reasonable sized ones) get a friend to clench a fist around one,then you do the same with the other, put your nuckles together or try too.

You will feel a strong pull or find it very hard to put them together.

Im talking about magnets about 2x5x4 cms.

scott

The only problem I can see is the mention of a box. Depending on the construction of the box, you have the possibility of creating a faraday's cage. That's the only problem I can really foresee.

Somebody did put a post on here a while ago about a damaged radio mic receiver after it fell into the back of an amp and got stuck to the speaker magnet. Seem to remember it was a damaged Eeprom following the incident. That may be worth a read.

and sticking them to each other without loosing the skin off your fingers!

Saw a generator service engineer come so close to loosing a finger whilst fitting a mag-pickup to the end of the alternator shaft of one of our Rolls Royce gensets. Nasty times! It just pulled it out of his hands, unfortunately not quite enough for him to get his little finger out of the way first.

Magnetron radar transmitters, now there's something to have fun with! Will pull a spanner (or metal toolbox) across the room towards it. Once it's on, you're not getting it back! Spot a good magnetron radar engineer and they won't be wearing a watch or any jewelery!

Hi there,

Can anyway help me with this? I'm just wondering if strong magnets used in a magic type show would affect wireless microphones? And if so, in what ways?

Thanks,

Heather

Unless of course the magnet was strong enough to pull the microphone out of your hand! :-)

I was once asked how to record the sounds inside an MRI scanner, which has a magnetic field of a few tesla from what I recall (which is seriously strong). Dynamic mics would be no good as they're a speaker in reverse and work magnetically, so I recommended they use a condenser mic. Apparently it worked perfectly.

Archived