Cheap 15amp Plugs

Wuddy

Just called in at my local B&Q and found loads of MK 15amp plugs in the clearance section, 0.50p each. Ok they aren't the Duraplug version but they are the resilient/unbreakable plastic type also they don't have sleeved pins, probably why they are clearance stock.

...why they are clearance stock.

Knowing B&Q probably because they have failed to sell any in the last 5 years given the stupidly high asking price originally / or the fact they are pretty much hidden on the shelf. Let's face it they are hardly a high demand item outside the theatre industry. Our local store stopped stocking them a while ago, which is a shame because on more than one occasion I have had to send someone to get one during a fit-up.

50p is cheap, I've heard of them doing this before too.

As a supplier of 15amp connectors within the industry, we have found PermaPlug's to be cheap and OK. They are toughened plastic, but are robust and have sleeved pins. If you smash them against the floor, they break, so we limit the use of them to lanterns only. Lanterns are not generally dropped from any height is our logic, unlike extension leads on occasions.

PermaPlugs are fitted to all Selecon lanterns, and have been for years, so they are tried and tested.

A :g: for "HDPT15B 15a Black Plug", can find them available from our webshop for £3 each, available below £2 each depending on quantities. We (like most suppliers) are always open to a bit of a haggle!

Nothing beats duraplug rubber connectors though if you want "bullet proof" connectors.

andrew

The local B&Q mentioned in my OP was Huddersfield. Rummaging through the 0.50p bins I found twenty seven plugs and probably got them all?

I just thought if it was a national directive to clear this item of stock then they may be available elsewhere and worth a look if you were in your local store.

There were also lots of 13amp plugs which I ignored -I can buy them cheaper- but I seem to think that they had unsleeved pins as well?

It appears to be a national 'lets stop stocking this and get rid' , B&Q Havant now empty of mk 15a plugs .......

Not north of the border it seems... Paisley, Glasgow (West) & Darnley don't have any in clearance - just the normal white ones in their normal stock at about £2.80/ea or something :g:

Ipswich had a big box of those white MK ones at 50p a throw back in December last year. (I remember the date as I remember the production I bought them for).

I bought about 20, they aren't really suited for lantern use but I made up some cheap 15-13s with them for occasional use.

I managed to overlook those white ones in my rant about 15A plugs about a month ago.

Archived