The Fitting of a Parsafe

Happy Jack

While I had my suspicions, I think it is now painfully clear. The picture springgrove linked to says it all. I'm gonna bite the bullet and take a trip over to Used Lighting a pick up a few more. Thanks for all your input.

Lesson learned - it's not always possible to turn lemons into lemonade. I just thought I was being resourceful!

In your first post, you said you fitted Parsafes to replace the old screw in holders? Screw in holders? If the retaining rings are missing, what held the lamp in before? The smaller size of the older ceramic connector would have meant lamp fall back would have been worse. Are you sure somebody didn't remove the circular clips at some point, and just leave the lamps sitting in the back. All this talk of them falling out seems a bit backwards? They fall out when the PARS are ground mounted and pointed up, but kind of work when they are rigged above, pointing down.

The price of basic empty cans is so cheap, it's hardly worth buying 2nd hand. That said, Used Lighting have them for £8-10 including a 16A connector.

What came with the cans we picked up was a standard ES/E27 ceramic lamp holder. I'm not refering to the older GX16d ceramic holders in my posts which are an entirely different assembly altogether, something I should've made clear from the start. This is what prompted the upgrade.

We needed lamps with a higher output, which made better contact inside the lampholder and were less prone to 'dropping out', and where the entire assembly was centred and secure. In hindsight this is was probably too much to expect with what we had...

There were never any retaining rings with them, and as far as I can see their function relies on the lamps being loaded from the rear in 'typical' fashion.

Apologies for the confusion but I think you can see how it has come about. A trip to Used Lighting in the first place would've avoided all of this!

Archived