R130 Handheld control of a Strand 500i

Tmstring

This is a newbie question, so I apologize in advance for my weak knowledge. I'm a volunteer in a church using a Strand 500i console. Attached is an SN104 with an R130 remote handheld. We recently upgraded to the 2.8.6 software version and all is well at the console. I'd like use the R130 remote to simply turn devices on and off while rigging but honestly can figure out how to activate the thing. I've poured over the Strand manuals that I could find, and searched here, but I'm missing something. I believe the R130 works properly, it beeps when attached the the port on the SN104.

Can someone direct me to an operators manual or point me in a direction? Much thanks.

I would start with connecting the R130 directly to the 500, using the Aux 1 socket. You will need to access the 'Console Setup' screen (from memory: <Report> {Adv Setup} {Console Setup} ). Scroll down to the handheld section and adjust the fields for the R130 (R130 Handheld, 8n1, 2AUX1) and see if the remote works like that (having gone back to <Live>).

I would then try it with the SN104.

I think that the GeniusPRO operators manual is still on the Strand website.

e2a: above

I would start with connecting the R130 directly to the 500, using the Aux 1 socket. You will need to access the 'Console Setup' screen (from memory: <Report> {Adv Setup} {Console Setup} ). Scroll down to the handheld section and adjust the fields for the R130 (R130 Handheld, 8n1, 2AUX1) and see if the remote works like that (having gone back to <Live>).

I would then try it with the SN104.

I think that the GeniusPRO operators manual is still on the Strand website.

e2a: above

Thank you for your quick reply. Using the Aux socket is a great idea and will save a good deal of walking until I get it working. I guess the part that throws me on this is setup of the device in the 'Console Setup' screen.

The User Manual just says: At Console Setup screen, Handheld Remote Communications Setup set “Handheld Remote” to “R130 Wired”, and set the Net Node, Port, Baud Rate and Configuration Address.

How do you know to select the 2AUX1? Further, what might I choose when attaching to the SN104? Net Node I understand, it's the others that have me scratching. I've looked at what I could find around the SN104 and the handheld itself and these items don't leap off the page at me.

Lastly, once the handheld comes active, does it automatically have the ability to control each of the channels, or do I have to somehow grant access for control.

How do you know to select the 2AUX1? Further, what might I choose when attaching to the SN104? Net Node I understand, it's the others that have me scratching. I've looked at what I could find around the SN104 and the handheld itself and these items don't leap off the page at me.

From memory, you can select either 2AUX1, 2AUX2, 4AUX1 or 4AUX2 as the port. The first figure is the communication protocol, and I believe that the 2 means RS232 and the 4 means RS483. The second figure is the port that wish to connect to, ie AUX1 or AUX2.

Lastly, once the handheld comes active, does it automatically have the ability to control each of the channels, or do I have to somehow grant access for control.

The remote should access all the features of the desk as per the controls on the handset. There is a group that reflects what channels are controlled from the remote, just as there is a group for the grandmasters. Generally all channels are set 'on' in these groups.

From memory, you can select either 2AUX1, 2AUX2, 4AUX1 or 4AUX2 as the port. The first figure is the communication protocol, and I believe that the 2 means RS232 and the 4 means RS483. The second figure is the port that wish to connect to, ie AUX1 or AUX2.

The remote should access all the features of the desk as per the controls on the handset. There is a group that reflects what channels are controlled from the remote, just as there is a group for the grandmasters. Generally all channels are set 'on' in these groups.

Your helpful advice was right on target. We have the R130 working just fine right now. Connecting it first directly to the console as your suggested proved that the handheld was working OK. I did have a configuration issue with the SN104. Seems that in the 220node.cfg file the definition for the DMX 4 port was set to 'OUT'. I found in the Strand documentation that for use with an AUX device the proper setting should be DMX 'OFF'. Once I updated the node file and set the console to identify the handset on the SN104 it became active.

This is a great forum. Thanks again for taking the time to help me out.

Archived