projection paint by rosco

godd2

hello,

next spring we are planning on doing les mis. I was thinking of using some led projectors to add some video on the set. I had read somewhere that rosco ( I think ) makes a paint that is suppose to be like a screen of HD quality.

has anyone used this product?

hello,

next spring we are planning on doing les mis. I was thinking of using some led projectors to add some video on the set. I had read somewhere that rosco ( I think ) makes a paint that is suppose to be like a screen of HD quality.

So are you going to paint the set with highly reflective projection surface paint? Won't that look a bit odd? What happens if you want a blackout? Any stray/ambient light is going to bounce of that like a good 'un.

hello,

So are you going to paint the set with highly reflective projection surface paint? Won't that look a bit odd? What happens if you want a blackout? Any stray/ambient light is going to bounce of that like a good 'un.

What I was thinking is just 2 or three spots on the set with this to be projected onto, kinda like a big tv I guess. I havent looked for sure but I thought they had colors like grey so it may not be too bad. but something to think about.

My advice is to get projectors that are sufficiently powerful to project on the set as it is. Having 'big tv' screens as part of the set for Les Mis will surely be totally anachronistic. If you do go with the screens then you need to have something on them at all times, even if it's just some breakup gobos. A blank projection screen on a theatre set is one of the ugliest things in the world.

My advice is to get projectors that are sufficiently powerful to project on the set as it is. Having 'big tv' screens as part of the set for Les Mis will surely be totally anachronistic. If you do go with the screens then you need to have something on them at all times, even if it's just some breakup gobos. A blank projection screen on a theatre set is one of the ugliest things in the world.

First off, great use of vocabulary, had to look up "anachronistic". I guess looking at the goo paint site, they offer this product in a darker grey. From what I have been told so far, we may have a large set piece that is on stage all the time and could be a greyish color. so I thought if we incorporate this grey projection paint with that set piece, it wouldnt be too obvious. I agree a big white screen on the set would be weird. overall this is more of an experiement to see what is possible. I want to make it look the best I can but it is high school theater so experimentation I think is ok.

Has anyone ever used a grey projection screen or paint? does the image show up well?

Has anyone ever used a grey projection screen or paint? does the image show up well?

I've used grey projection screen many times. Yes, they work but you won't get the same brightness as you would from a white one. (Actually, it's not quite that simple. A grey screen my look brighter than a white one would if there is a lot of ambient light - the grey helps to mantain a better contrast ratio). However, it is an artistic decision on how you balance the brightness of the projection with the 'look' of the screen within the overall design.

Archived