Strand Optiques

johnlinford

My suggestion would've been RB Lighting, but you've already tried them, so .....!

Optiques were never really what you'd call a 'mainstream' lantern even in their heyday, so specific spares (that aren't common to other lanterns in the Strand range) are, I imagine, pretty hard to get hold of. Unfortunately, reflectors fall into that category. I know they're a problem in Optiques - I used to work at Glyndebourne, where a large number of Optiques featured in the permanent FOH rig, and we had some trouble with the reflectors discolouring and losing their 'silvering' while I was there.

Good luck!

The external housing is very different to a Prelude! Physically, Optiques are almost identical to Cantatas. Optically, they differ by having condenser optics. I could be wrong (it's been quite a few years!!), but I don't think Optique reflectors are common to any other lanterns - they're unique to that particular product.

So, I've got a pile of optiques on which the reflectors have all gone a bit unreflective. Does anyone know of anyone selling spares, or replacements, or anyone good at re-silvering them?

RB and SLX haven't come up with any despite looking for me.

Cheers,

John

I dont know if its possible or how to do it how about posting a pic of the reflector, I doubt I do have anything but might be worth a pic as somebody may have some laying around in thier store wondering what they are.

lxtechman

I found this pic on the Strand archive :

http://www.strandarchive.co.uk/lanterns/documents/optique8171542.jpg

The reflector is a completely different shape to the ones found in Cantatas. It looks more like the reflector from a Fresnel. It would be worth comparing it to the reflector from a Prelude profile or Fresnel as they may be the same. We've got quite a few Prelude F's, PC's and profiles so if you let me know the diameter/depth of your reflector I can see if they match.

The reflector is a completely different shape to the ones found in Cantatas. It looks more like the reflector from a Fresnel. It would be worth comparing it to the reflector from a Prelude profile or Fresnel as they may be the same. We've got quite a few Prelude F's, PC's and profiles so if you let me know the diameter/depth of your reflector I can see if they match.

Having looked at the spares, it looks like it might be very similar to the reflector in the fresnels or the PCs. Dimensions are 80mm outer diameter for mounting, 55mm diameter of the actual reflector and the bowl is 15mm deep.

If you could have a look for me it'd be much appreciated.

Cheers,

John

I'll have a look today and see if the reflectors are the same. Another thought occurs though. How about re-chroming the reflectors you've got? Most chrome-plating shops should be able to advise you whether this is possible or not. This may a viable option if you can't get hold of a new reflector, and should be cheaper than throwing out the lamp and buying another one.

I've measured the reflector on a Strand Prelude Fresnel and despite being a smaller lamp, the reflector is bigger than that on an Optique! The reflector is 95mm wide overall, 75mm wide for the reflector 'dish', and the dish itself is 25mm deep. I haven't been able to measure the reflector on a Prelude profile as ours are all up in the rig.

Archived