Smooth live editing.

Unfathomable

Hi,

I know VJ software is covered in several other topics, but I have been struggling to find one that will do what I want it to, so bear with me please!

I need software that will take a couple of live feeds plus a library of clips and allow me to show them live and easily, but with smooth transitions (a variable speed fade ideally) that will look good in cooperate and dramatic settings.

I tried some of the software mentioned in the top few topics on this board, but they seem to only allow me to snap to clips and run music related material through.

Cheers in advance

EDIT: missed off that basically I need to run the equivalent an analogue visual mixer on my pc I think. I am only a lighting tech, but I used on a while back that was old and seemed to provide smooth transitions between several live feeds. I want that on my PC.

Cheers

Most reasonably good VJ software should let you do this. Try Arkaos or Resolume (just the first 2 that came to mind). If you haven't already look at audiovisualizers and VJCentral.

Which software did you try? Maybe you didn't set it up to crossfade. If you want real-time control of fade speed you will probably need to map a MIDI controller to the crossfade parameter.

One thing to note is there will be a discernible delay in the live feed. If you are, for example, projecting a person speaking behind that person on stage then the delay will be annoying.

I have tried arkaos, but couldn't find a way to alter fade in times sufficiently. I will DL resolume and have a look at it.

The live feed was mostly for dance shows so with some effects the delay would go unnoticed and could even add to the effect. Any music gigs etc will be purely clips but still need the smoothness. I am working to a very small budget as a part time tech and being just out of collage, but I wanted to see what could be done.

I have a video camera and access to more, so several people have asked me what is possible along these lines.

Have a look at this. It can accept multiple live inputs and also store video clips or stills. You can also create your own name straps or key logos across everything. There are loads of video filters and looks pre stored and you can turn on a program/preview look so you can build your next state before taking it to screen.

http://www.telestream.net/wire-cast/overview.htm

We use it mainly for local webcasts (around hotels/exhibition halls etc) but I have also used the straight video out and it works quite well. Get yourself a demo!

Hope that helps

Lobba

I have tried arkaos, but couldn't find a way to alter fade in times sufficiently. I will DL resolume and have a look at it.

It's a while since I used arkaos in anger but I recall having to use a variety of dissatisfying work arounds to get timed crossfades working well. It may well be better now.

I'm pretty sure resolume will do the job for you but do check out the alternatives. You may well find something that will do what you want for less money (possibly even free).

Have a look at this. It can accept multiple live inputs and also store video clips or stills. You can also create your own name straps or key logos across everything. There are loads of video filters and looks pre stored and you can turn on a program/preview look so you can build your next state before taking it to screen.

http://www.telestream.net/wire-cast/overview.htm

We use it mainly for local webcasts (around hotels/exhibition halls etc) but I have also used the straight video out and it works quite well. Get yourself a demo!

Hope that helps

Lobba

What was the delay like when working live?

It's a while since I used arkaos in anger but I recall having to use a variety of dissatisfying work arounds to get timed crossfades working well. It may well be better now.

I'm pretty sure resolume will do the job for you but do check out the alternatives. You may well find something that will do what you want for less money (possibly even free).

I am looking at resolme, haveing a play at the moment I will post when I have given it a good try.

thanks

Delay wasn't great at about 4 frames but not far off any other PC/MAC based software which generally has to de-interlace on the input, then process mix and scale. If its camera's straight in and just being passed through with no other scalers/vision mixers in the way you will probably get away with it.

If you need less delay then you start to need hardware like ScreenPro's or Spyders/Encores with other sources to do you clip playback, or professional software like Watchout with Blackmagic capture cards which can give you a delay of only 2 frames if you use 720p cameras.

Lobba

Delay wasn't great at about 4 frames but not far off any other PC/MAC based software which generally has to de-interlace on the input, then process mix and scale. If its camera's straight in and just being passed through with no other scalers/vision mixers in the way you will probably get away with it.

If you need less delay then you start to need hardware like ScreenPro's or Spyders/Encores with other sources to do you clip playback, or professional software like Watchout with Blackmagic capture cards which can give you a delay of only 2 frames if you use 720p cameras.

Lobba

4 frames is better than some.

Is there a small piece of cheep hardware that would allow a smooth fade between a couple of inputs, so that the live feed can be in one and the PC in the other, giving the facility for fairly seamless live footage to clips transitions?

Arkaos has timed crossfades, it's one of the video effects and you can control the transparency of a clip directly by midi. You could, in fact, use your lx desk's midi out to control the parameters of various things in arkaos, or you could even get the more expensive DMX version. You will get the annoying delay on live cams though, much better to use a 'real' mixer for live cameras; an edirol V4 will cost about 650 quid these days and do the job more reliably than a laptop alone. You'll still need a laptop for the clips but personally I wouldn't want to rely on a laptop on it's own anyway, having had mine crash more than once mid-gig.

I know you said you could cope with the delay, but if it is an issue, why not output the clips from the PC to a vision mixer and cut the cameras in with the play-ins. You could probably pick up something like an MX50 from ebay for not that much money. With some of the products, buying a vision mixer would be about the same price as the buying the software.

Is there a small piece of cheep hardware that would allow a smooth fade between a couple of inputs, so that the live feed can be in one and the PC in the other, giving the facility for fairly seamless live footage to clips transitions?
The Wirecast product should see any capture cards, I think you can get the Hauppauge capture cards for about £40. That will then fade between the different live feeds and the clips. There is also a 'Wireless Presenter" plugin that acts like a VNC screen capture for your PPT sources. If you download the demo you could test between your built in isight and a DV camera, it would cost nothing to test.

Lobba

I agree with Pete, hardware.

Grab a used Edirol V4 (about £4-500), stick it in presentation mode and you have glitch free switching of 4 sources, with adjustable fade time on a dedicated knob, with very little delay.

for your loops - use a computer with s-video output or a scan converter to get the picture into the V4 mixer.

I know you said you could cope with the delay, but if it is an issue, why not output the clips from the PC to a vision mixer and cut the cameras in with the play-ins. You could probably pick up something like an MX50 from ebay for not that much money. With some of the products, buying a vision mixer would be about the same price as the buying the software.

Archived