Multi-way Video Splitter + Amplifier

Frag_Me

So:

I have 3 S-Video Sources (All using the good 'ol Yellow RCA leads throughout)

And 8-10 possible outputs (TVs and Projectors)

The goal is to set up a system whereby any one of the three sources can be sent out to any of the outputs at any time by user selection. The setting is a bar where the TVs and projectors are used for advertising, quiz questions, watching the freeview feed etc. The idea is that these screens will be able to be set up in any configuration at any time in a nice easy way. Thus the quiz man can relocate that night's football viewing to the other end of the bar, leave the rest of the screens showing adverts and commandeer the projector to show his questions on (For example...)

All this control needs to be in one location, so that everything is managed from this one point.

I know how I could do it, using a number of the little video amps sold by CPC, a number of 3-position rotary switches and a lot of solder... but I was wondering if anyone had come across any existing products which fitted this description...

I look forward to hearing your responses!

Cheers,

Leo

I have 3 S-Video Sources (All using the good 'ol Yellow RCA leads throughout)

Not sure about this bit, as the yellow RCA phonos would indicate composite rather than S-video.

If it is indeed composite, and not S-video, than something along these lines might be in order:

Kramer video matrix

If it is S-video, then similar units are available: Kramer YC matrix

Other manufacturers will make similar products...

You are indeed correct! I've had someone telling me it was s-video all day!

Those products would indeed perform this operation perfectly - alas they are a little bit too complex for this - the £xxxx price tag reflects this too!

Thank you for letting me know what these are actually called also - A "Matrix Switcher" sounds like something I'd put in a Dolorean... I shall have a browse of other available products - many thanks for the help.

Have a search for Procon - they're quite a bit cheaper, but almost as good as the Kramer gear (and have a nice simple serial protocol compared to the Kramers if that's a consideration).

Also, if you can share outputs on screens using cheap video amplifier modules, it can cut the size of the matrix you need - and therefore the cost. Sketch out on some paper all the combinations you require.

You are indeed correct! I've had someone telling me it was s-video all day!

Those products would indeed perform this operation perfectly - alas they are a little bit too complex for this - the £xxxx price tag reflects this too!

Thank you for letting me know what these are actually called also - A "Matrix Switcher" sounds like something I'd put in a Dolorean... I shall have a browse of other available products - many thanks for the help.

I know they are expensive but I honestly don't think they are too complex. They are very simple to operate and do exactly what you need a lot more elegantly than a load of rotary switches.

I'm sure you are using composite video but it does occur to me that it would be possible to distribute s-video via RCA plugs. Just split the Y and C signals and send them on two separate cables. Very unlikely but technically feasible.

Archived