Using 'other' subs with Mackie SRM 450's

gilkinted

As the subject line says I'd like to use a pair of SRM 450's with 'non-Mackie' subs. I'm using an HK Actor rig where one satellite is down being fixed. I propose temporarily replacing the HK satellites and connecting the 450's to a pair of HK active subs using the full range pass through to feed the subs but switching in the 75hz notch on the Mackie cabs. Does anyone think this unwise? 200 hundred capacity room - band reinforcement.

Cheers,

Allan

Are the subs the Actor active ones?

If so, the subs have no internal crossover and sending a full range signal via the Makies is not a good idea. You'll need to feed them with a low passed signal from a crossover.

Also, from the manual on page 10:

"Note: Never patch the mixer's line and/or master

signal directly into Sub A’s Subwoofer Input. This

bypasses the system’s controller, crossover, equalization

and protection circuitry, risking serious damage

to the subwoofer."

I notice from the Manual also that the subs have a range of 40-130Hz so at a guess I'd say a crossover point of 100-120hz should do it.

Are the subs the Actor active ones?

If so, the subs have no internal crossover and sending a full range signal via the Makies is not a good idea. You'll need to feed them with a low passed signal from a crossover.

Also, from the manual on page 10:

"Note: Never patch the mixer's line and/or master

signal directly into Sub A's Subwoofer Input. This

bypasses the system's controller, crossover, equalization

and protection circuitry, risking serious damage

to the subwoofer."

I notice from the Manual also that the subs have a range of 40-130Hz so at a guess I'd say a crossover point of 100-120hz should do it.

Cheers noiseman - I had completely overlooked the 'signal flow' of the HK system means all the active circuitry exists in the tops! Yeah, I'll just deploy an elec crossover at about the points you suggested.

Thanks, Allan

Archived