A&H ZED 12FX Mixer

Behringer EP2500 Amp

Dbx Driverack PA - But no RTA Mic

2 Dbx 266XL compressors for mic channels

And Speakers 2 EV SX300

Got to run through

The Driverack, Gain structure, and system setup information on here

http://www.dbxpro.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=959

But wondering if anyone got any other good tips and ideas for getting the best out of this system ,the speakers have NL4 Speakons can you use them on the behringer and if so would I benefit from them ,just using NL2 cables and connecters right now.

Any Ideas ,I would be very greatful TY

Roy

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

By the way it may help to know that I do karaoke/disco .So the system needs to work well with the mics .I use a 4 set VOCOPRO UHF5800 wireless mics and VHF Shure L2/58 ,I do have 2 SM58 wired mic's I dont always have them connected depends on the situation and gig.

Thanks in Advance again

the speakers have NL4 Speakons can you use them on the behringer and if so would I benefit from them ,just using NL2 cables and connecters right now.

For your purposes, I wouldn't worry about NL4 vs. NL2. The NL4 connectors have four poles so can carry two independent speaker signals per cable. Your speakers won't benefit from that functionality so NL2s will do the job fine.

By the way it may help to know that I do karaoke/disco .So the system needs to work well with the mics .I use a 4 set VOCOPRO UHF5800 wireless mics and VHF Shure L2/58 ,I do have 2 SM58 wired mic's I dont always have them connected depends on the situation and gig.

Must be a bit of a pain licensing those UHF5800 for each & every venue you go to. I would have thought that mics that operate on the licence free band would be easier/cheaper for you?

well that is something im trying to sort I do also have a 2 sets of kam 1940 mics the twin mic sets but could not get the 2 sets to work together even though you can change them ,must be that they close together on channels and bleed over due to cheap parts .they are on the free freqancy so looking into getting some shure mics on the free freqancy.

If its anything other than a teeny-tiny venue I would be tempted to add a sub (and an amp to run it ).

The idea would be to take the workload of providing the bass away from the sx300's as whilst they are a great midtop (IMHO) asking it (as a fairly compact plastic speaker) to produce the amount of bass that a modern audience may expect would be a big ask.

Was thinking about later getting the matching sb122 subs heard they good match and are the same size and weight as the sx300's or near enough .

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

Just as a side note does anyone know if the 2 Kam 1940 twin mic systems can be worked together or are they just too cheap and not tight enough as to not get bleedover ,if it is possible what are the settings to use please?

Was thinking about later getting the matching sb122 subs heard they good match and are the same size and weight as the sx300's or near enough .

Given that a wise man once said "ye canne change the laws of physics", I cannot imagine a sub as small and as light as a SX300 giving you anywhere near the level and quality of bass to match the mid/top that a sx300 pumps out.

whatever you plump to do, try it out at one of your gigs before buying.

I wouldn't so much look to add a sub, more upgrade the tops.

Without wanting to be offensive, the SX300 is IMO a horrific speaker. No sort of real low-end to speak of, a complete lack of midrange presence and huge amounts of over-sibilance. I would look to upgrade them to something much better such as Turbosound TXD121s. IMO, this will add far more to the system than adding a pair of subs.

If you want to squash kick and kit through it and loads of low-mid then I'd agree, but 'horific' would in my opinion suit many, many other cabs before being applied to these.

The design works fine doing what it does best - and rock and roll grunt isn't it. That said, they sound pretty good for plastic boxes, are reliable, hard wearing and convenient size wise. I've got four, plus some clones and have no issues with them whatsoever. I believe the phrase "horses for courses" sums them up.

It can all depend on how they set up and whats put through them ,Ive heard the same speakers down my local pub and they sounded real ear piecing tinny where as mine sound nothing like that at all and if I want bass they give bass too ,Im not trying to say anywhere as much as a bass box or some bigger 15" cabs.

Anyway only had them a couple of months and am no way looking to change them they fit my needs and are easy to transport.

I have a hatred for sx300's, I always have, it's one of the couple of places EV went downhill. However, a TXD121 is not an upgrade, just a different box with similar parameters. The SX300's are popular and serve a purpose. I'd look at the sub route if this is viable and practical for you.

It always amazes me how much you actually get out of an SX300. Whilst the sound is far from what I would class as good, you can get some decent volume and tone from these for a very light box. I think for Karaoke they will serve you well providing you are careful. Our old club system was eight of these hung around the dance floor and ran with a few of the single 15" sub.

I now use them for acoustic nights and pub quizes etc and they are going strong after 9 years!!! (with the occasional tweeter change after over excited DJs get their grubby paws on the volume know). In a room that is 10m x 12m I have two ground stacked (on top of a sub each in L/R configuration), and two flown. That gives me a loud enough, and clear enough sound for a pub.

I've also used them for emergency "get out of a hole" drum fills and monitors. And you can carry two at once!!!

Archived