Overlapping two Projectors

buck_rogers999

depending on the type of projector you may have edge blending built into the unit, alternatively you'll ideally need something that will blend the edged such as a software based system.

I believe the correct term is Overlay or Double --- To align two projectors onto the same screen to achieve a brighter image...

what other equipment are youo using? PC or vision mixer, Image Pro?

Ian H

Its been discussed here before - link. Are you blending the images e.g making it wider or doubling the image - same size but brighter?

For blending you will need software or hardware based solution to split the image and fade the edges to achieve a blend. You can use 2 x screen proII from Barco and then put them in the Blendpro unit to achieve this. Another hardware option is Analog ways Diventix which will do it in one box. I'm sure their are others. Couldn't comment on software based solutions as I havn't used them.

Doubling is easier - 2 x identical projectors and lenses (try not to use 0.8 short throw as it makes it harder due to barreling of the lenses when you go off axis. Line one image on top of the other. You have to be accurate or you will get a soft image.

You can make your own test patterns in powerpoint for normal line up, if not the makers of domtone do a line up app with various patterns (can't find a link to it on google at the mo.) or this has a basic grid, bars and grey scale.

Trial and error, one picture, two images, match it up with the lens shift... not easy though.

Another tiny problem you may find is that some splitters (suggesting your using composite cables) will slightly weaken the quality of the picture anyway as well as getting a soft image due to bad alignment as David said. I should imagine that if you don't get it spot on it'll look rubbish.

Have fun :)

Double stacking (one image laid over the other) technically isn't that hard. As others have said the line up can be a pain. We decent machines which you can lock together then it can be ok. However if you haven't got some sort of frame for the XF's then they can be hard to double stack unless you have two shelves one for each projector.

Start by ensuring each image is true and square to the screen. First. Then get one image lined up on the screen as you want it. Simply then overlay the image fro mtgs second mqchne and spend the next hour or two trying to line it up. You'll also find that as the lens shift on the XFs is quite course you'll be very close, try to shift it a natts chuff and it'll go a whole two natts chuffs.

A decent Distribution Amplifier (DA) won't weaken the signal, but won't strenghten it either as they are unity gain. If your using the likes of a passive T split then it will give drop off. Use a DA whee possible as best practice.

Hour or two Pete! Perhaps ten minutes..I'd expect to have 6 projectors on a softy to be dusted in a couple of hours anyway heres a little advice which may help from my 20odd years of doing it:

Best way is to line up your first projector using the internal test grid pattern built into the projector (usually your main or bottom proj of the stack) then align the second projector onto the first again using the internal grid..this ensures that both projectors are aligned to default lens positions...now any differences are down to loaded files of your image source..which sounds like a 15khz source at 50 hz..which should be a doddle..do not use the lens shift once you are aligned to the internal grids! You should find that any differences are down to a:) the way sanyo auto maps a file B:) slight phase shift through cable differences. You should tweak the file that sanyo auto's as its usually out with a 50hz source (if the line up using the internal grids was good then you should be able to copy across the numbers from the image file to the second projector and they should drop in!). Then you should have a perfect double. Agree with above on lens choice, if you can avoid 0.8's then that is great, but it is possible to align them should you have to. The rule is longer the lens easier the line up. Your line up isn't that criticle because you are just showing a film/movie and you can get away with alot with moving images...but if it was a ppt file or software demo for example(especially if small fonts are used) then any fault in the line up would be noticed.

Apologies if it sounds like I'm giving a lesson in egg sucking..this is just the way I'd approach it. Hope it helps

Both replies above are good, but have missed the first vital step....

Ensure that you do a factory reset on the projectors (particularly sanyo's over barco or christie) to ensure that there is no keystone, or adjustment of the pixel ratio of the image from the settings that where last used in the projector.

And I think the biggest tip would be to ensure that your projectors are square to the screen and that the screen is uniformly vertical before you start.

P.

You wouldn't need a factory reset if you align firstly with the internal patterns..firstly..you can not apply keystone to internal patterns and secondly and most importantly the test grids use the full panel, so are the best way to get the optics aligned. You would delete saved files before loading your own as a matter of course..I would also do this for barco's..not as important with christies as they file the settings differently.

when was the last time you stacked a sanyo john?

XF45s do not have internal test patterns (only the latest sanyos have this essential feature xp100, xp200, xf47)

given this the best option is to factory reset them first, align one projector to the screen using as little lens shift as possible and ideally zero keystone (put the projector in the centre of the screen if possible) then lineup the other using a grid pattern sent to both projectors (ideally from a decent generator box set to the native resolution of the projectors) the video inputs should then be aligned provided that you did a factory reset at the start of the process.

the QED stacking frames make the whole process a lot quicker as the projectors are locked in physical alignment - http://www.qed-productions.com/AudioVisual...Projectors.aspx <-down the bottom of this page.

Haven't used Sanyos in quite a while..not my projector of choice and fortunately not of most of my clients either..Sorry Tom..probably had a 408 hooked up to them the last time I used them..** laughs out loud **..it was quite some time ago..but as you say set the lens to dead centre (look down it and put the raster centre..therefore no chance of barrelling..if you can't factory default)

Archived