Limiter/Compressor for system protection

Unfathomable

Hi,

I am looking to buy a limiter/compressor to go between my amps and my desk to protect speaker etc. I know that I need a stereo channel unit, and it must be rack mounted, preferably 1U.

I was hoping someone could recommend a unit for a limited budget (as far under 100 quid as possible) that could fit this spec.

Thanks

Are there any less complex. I ask because this is likely to be hired to some venues and left in the care of less experienced techs so I am looking to protect the gear from any wrong doing on their part.

If not then that looks like it will do the job and is defiantly in the price range, cheers.

Are there any less complex. I ask because this is likely to be hired to some venues and left in the care of less experienced techs so I am looking to protect the gear from any wrong doing on their part.

If not then that looks like it will do the job and is defiantly in the price range, cheers.

Formula Sound do the ideal thing, designed mainly for installs, but it cost about 4x the Behringer!!! I have a couple of the MDX1600's and they suffice.

It's not too hard to set them up for hard limiting, although it can be rather disconcerting if you do hit the limit as the sound will suddenly drop off. Caught me off guard the first time I used it and was still tweaking :** laughs out loud **:

I'm sure if you search the forum there is something that will describe how to set it up for hard limit, as my brains not functioning right now otherwise I would tell you <_<

A fairly high ratio compressor will give you a nicer sound, though with that unit you can put a brick wall on top of this for your absolute maximum level. Once they're set up they don't really need changing if its the same system in use. There are digital offerings, the DEQ2496 will do this and much more but these are slightly over your budget second hand. This can also be locked to stop people tampering.

Rob

I'd buy the Behringer MDX1600 and then a cover that bolts over it to stop anyone being able to acess the controls, then bolt it in with security bolts, chances are if they are an inexperienced tech they won't have a security bolt driver to hand.

HTH

If you do go for the MDX1600, find a dealer who will demo it for you, I'm sure once you have had a play you will see it's pretty simple.

If you do get stuck, Rob Beech isn't a million miles away, I'm sure he would oblige for a pint or two.

I may even have one of each of those units knocking about somewhere for you to have a look at, though I can't guarantee anything.

Thanks, but its fine, a friend of mine says he has one for a home studio thing he has set up, will give it to me if I make a video of his band for him. Cheers.

Archived