Woops

randomgirlie

Well... One night I went out on a razzle... and came home with a new job... Lighting tech on a musical.. <I really houldnt have bothered fixing thier scroller.

Turns out... Its going to be extremely unrealistic. I've figured out how to do most of it but....

Can anyone give me any ideas on how to set up a "roller blind" type cloth flat without a fly system and allow me to operate it fom the box..

Any budget? Thought as much...

The typical method involves taking a pair of lines up from the wings, through pulleys, to a point just outside the area of the cloth. The lines then drop to a large diameter tube (4" or so, often ali.) fixed to the bottom of the cloth. You wrap the line around the tube, with the number of turns times the diameter to equal the drop. When you pull the lines in the wings, the tube turns, rolling the cloth around the tube and rising as it goes. Often called "tumbling". This system can be inverted with the large tube at the top, but this requires some form of bearing to support the ends of the tube.

In theory, you could run the lines to your box. Equally, I suppose there must be a way to get a motor to do the lifting, but I've not seen it done.

Yeah... I have no ideas on budget... but then again neither does the director.

I kinda think Ima be working from a shoe string if ya know what Im rambling on about.

Its just got me scratching my noggin....

All suggestions welcome..

thanks

Becksy x

Guest lightnix
All suggestions welcome..

Make it sound really expensive and difficult to do, preferably with an H&S concern thrown in, if you (or anyone else here) can think of one. Then suggest a backlit gauze-type effect as a simpler / cheaper / safer reveal :unsure:

Operating tumblers with shoe strings is prohibited under LOLER, unless the shoe strings have been proof rated?

Surely that depends on the mass of the system...

anyway take a look at this tread...here

it was quite complicated in the end...

David

Archived