Martin 918 HOT error?

norty303

I'm trying to evaluate whether it's worth purchasing some 918's, one of which is showing a HOT error.

Could this be something as simple as the thermal sensor gone wrong, or might it indicate something more terminal with the control board?

I'm trying to evaluate whether it's worth purchasing some 918's, one of which is showing a HOT error.

Could this be something as simple as the thermal sensor gone wrong, or might it indicate something more terminal with the control board?

The HOT error is caused if you try and restrike the lamp within 8 minutes of turning it off, so if you've turned the unit on, and it's displaying that error, chances are you've got a screwed control board. It could also be the DMX input trying to do weird things, so I'd suggest trying it without DMX to confirm.

HOT error messages appear when the unit tries to strike the lamp but the light sensor doesn't see any light.

If lamp is turning on and you get message it the light sensor that has the problem

If the lamp isn't turning on and you get the message then either the lamp was too hot to strike or you have a problem with the lamp circuit

If you can get into the light, check the sensor board to see if theres any obvious circuit fault, or simply something over the light sensor. You could also 'disable' the light sensor, but that might have nastys attached.

You could also 'disable' the light sensor, but that might have nastys attached.

Easier tests would be to either try a known working lamp, or take the lamp out and point a torch at the light sensor. If it works with a different lamp then theres your fault, but if it only works when the torch is pointed at the sensor then there may be ballast/ignitor issues.

Archived