Logic System CA Rig vs HK Audio Actor

warnock

Hey everyone. As you know Iv been looking for a PA system for doing theatres and med sizes halls as well as weddings / corporate gigs etc.

I have narrowed it down to the following:

(1) Logic System CA Rig consisting of x4 ca20 and x2 nd215 with MC2 amps (x1 E25 and x1 E45)

Id be buying this 2nd hand from a local hire company close to myself up in Scotland for around £5K - £6K

What I like about this system is that I could use it for the weddings / corporate gigs then hire in an extra nd215 sub and ca10 for larger gigs.

Iv used this system before and though id sounded great.

(2) HK Audio Actor DX Rig consisting of x2 mid high units x2 active bass cabs and x2 passive bass cabs

Price brand new is around £5K

What I like about this system is that I could use the whole system for large gigs and when doing wedding / corporate could leave the two passive bins behind and use m20 poles etc.

Have never heard this system before. Website says it will cover an audience of 500.

Would appreciate any comments

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
My company used one for a large festival with lots of small stages. the HK Aktor covered about 120 people for a full band. for speeches and conference, it might cover 250, but band-wise it's quite limited.

cheers for the reply. that helps a lot. Il keep looking for a system.

Warnock, what have you listened to so far?

Hey, have listened to the Logic System CA rig in small theatre.

Listened to the HK Actor rig at a dinner dance of around 200 capacity. Was punchy but not as clear as the Logic stuff.

I think im gonna head to Plasa and see whats going on.

cheers

I own an HK actor which will be in use this Wednesday (tomorrow) and Saturday in Galashiels. I have no idea where you are, but if you are near by then please feel free to come and listen.

I have used it in some of the larger town halls (500ish capacity) with full bands with a satisfying result. However it was being driven hard. I have now bought a Shermann system to complement the Actor when needs be!

Cheers,

Greg

I own an HK actor which will be in use this Wednesday (tomorrow) and Saturday in Galashiels. I have no idea where you are, but if you are near by then please feel free to come and listen.

I have used it in some of the larger town halls (500ish capacity) with full bands with a satisfying result. However it was being driven hard. I have now bought a Shermann system to complement the Actor when needs be!

Cheers,

Greg

I might be able to come along. What sort of venue and gig you doing wednesday and saturday.

CHeers

I've never used the Logic system so can't compare the two but I've used an HK Actor extensively in theatres ranging from 200-500ish and also for a lot of corporate events. The strong point of the HK is a slightly warm but very neutral sound, especially on speech. On theatre stuff where the vocals are king, it's hard to beat (at least without spending D&B money) and it's also worked out very well for corporate stuff. I imagine it would also be excellent for weddings (with the mix of speeches and music that SOME want to hear and others want to chat through) though that's not my end of the market.

In theatres, I've often put rock-style bands through it with good results though I can imagine it falling down on a gig where SPL is more important than quality.

No, I wouldn't describe it as having "punch" but sometimes you want a more neutral, natural sound--not every event wants to hit you over the head then kick you when you're down!

For most of the items on your list the HK Actor is exactly what I'd choose.

Bob

Tonight I am doing the sound for Booty Luv (sitting number 16 in the charts I think) in Move nightclub, Overhaugh street. It's students only, however if you would like to come I can let you in.

Saturday will either be a mini music festival in a community hall (4 bands) or resident TITP DJ's SLAM, depending which system I take where. Probably take the HK's to SLAM as they are a bit more bassy.

I will PM you my mobile and you can give me a shout if you fancy!

Archived