Compact mixer with FX recommendations

KidRay

Our little Carlsbro mixer-amp is showing it's age and is beyond economical repair, so we're looking to replace it with a small mixing desk and at the same time replace the cheap chinese passive monitors with some decent powered monitors.

This is for the smaller of the bands I work with and will be used in smaller venues (pubs/social clubs/function rooms) so we're looking for something compact as we generally have the desk on stage. At the moment we are using a Soundcraft Spirit Live 16 channel mixer with a Yamaha P3500 amp powering the monitors, Alesis Midiverb on FX duty, and Studiospares powered speakers FOH.

Line up is Guitar, Bass, Drums, Electronic drum octopad, 2 vox, (with second vox going via TC Helicon VoiceLive, so 2 balanced jacks into desk), occasionally sax. I'm looking for 8 mic inputs and some stereo inputs for e-drum, iPod etc. Simple onboard FX with a good quality reverb is desirable to save space and set-up time.

We are favouring a pair of RCF 310A for the monitors, nice compact units, can also be used as FOH on small gigs.

I've been looking at the Soundcraft EFX 8, though I would prefer more aux sends so we could have more than one monitor mix. The Soundcraft MFX 8 has 2 aux sends, but is more expensive, as is the Yamaha MG 16-6 CX

I'm aware that the Studiospares (Fortissimo 15A) are probably the weak link in this set up, but will be replaced sometime in the future when funds allow.

Any other mixers I should be aware of at this price point? (The EFX 8 is about £230)

From an engineers point of view (not a long-term users) I like Dynacord. Easy to use, lovely quality and easy to service. But dear.

I used to recommend Mackie till they stopped supplying spares...though they're a nice mixer. Soundcraft still pretty nice, as are Allen & Heath, Peavey and others..though Soundcraft tend to use huge single-boards on the 'smaller' desks which makes them very tedious to dismantle.

But dont listen to me, I only see them when they go wrong.....

I've been looking at the Soundcraft EFX 8, though I would prefer more aux sends so we could have more than one monitor mix. The Soundcraft MFX 8 has 2 aux sends, but is more expensive, as is the Yamaha MG 16-6 CX

Any other mixers I should be aware of at this price point? (The EFX 8 is about £230)

Have a trawl through e-bay for Yamaha MG's. The desk itself is reasonably good (great value for money) and the effects are spot on, should pick one up in your price range if you are patient enough!

I was trying to avoid the B word, not that I have anything against them particularly, but I'd like to aim a little higher. Maybe second-hand would be a better way to go, there is no great rush as we have the 16ch Soundcraft, it's just a bit big for some gigs.

I have to say that the Carlsbro has been a great little workhorse for the last 25 years (!) and I'd really like something that will last as long.

I have to say that the Carlsbro has been a great little workhorse for the last 25 years (!) and I'd really like something that will last as long.

Modern budget mixers just aren't built to the same standards as the desks from 25 years ago. Yes, you get many more facilities for you money but they're much more difficult to service. I suspect that you will have to go up to something like the Zed range from Allen and Heath (which has individual boards for each channel) to gain better life expectancy.

I'm still using an MM desk from 1981.

Cheers

James.

Personally if I were you the first thing I would change would be the FOH speakers. Your mixer(s) and monitors work so why not go for the purchase that will create the most noticable improvement in sound for the customers. It's nice to have a better mixer and it's good to have decent monitors but every time I would want the customer to be ecstatic about the sound for the audience, above the band and engineer!

I know this isn't what you were asking but is just my opinion.

Andy

• 4 months later...

We are now several months on from the original question, we did get a pair of RCF 310Ai and they sound lovely, much nicer than the Fortissimo for vocals, we are now (thanks to an unexpected royalty cheque) ready to take the next step.

We have pretty much decided that the Allen & Heath Zed 12FX is our mixing desk of choice, and the RCFs will be on FOH duty, supplemented by a hired-in active sub (or two) on the odd occasion that we need to reinforce the backline.

The budget will just about stretch to another pair of RCF 310A for monitors, but I was wondering whether a pair of dB Opera 208 D might fit the bill as they are slightly smaller and a fair bit cheaper. The RCFs had plenty of volume to spare in the monitor role, but will an 8" speaker do the job as well? If I can save money here it can be put to good use elsewhere.

Also I would welcome opinions on active subs to go with the RCFs, although this will ultimately depend on what is available in the local hire stock.

Archived