mp3 editing software

johndenim

Because of the patent on mp3 encoding, and the cost of licensing it, I'm pretty sure there isn't anything free that saves files as mp3....

Audacity will do the editing for free, and will export as mp3 if you give it a file with the LAME source code in.

LAME is free (legally) because as it stands it's not an mp3 encoder.

When you combine it with audacity, you have an unlicensed (and therefore not strictly legal) free mp3 encoder......

Edit to add: My creative sound card came with creative playcentre, which has a facility to convert .wav files to .mp3 and I do it that way if it has to be mp3. I did have to buy the sound card though so it wasn't really free.

Audacity will do the editing for free, and will export as mp3 if you give it a file with the LAME source code in.

Beware! Audacity (like most audio editors) will NOT work natively in MP3. I will convert an existing MP3 file to an uncompressed format (effectively a wave file). If you then save that file as MP3 you are actually MP3 coding it a second time, losing quality rather rapidly. Each time you re-open a file you lose more quality and the concatenation of encoding losses sounds very nasty very quickly.

Edited to add: I did a search in an audio recording forum I visit and a number of people there have recommended something called MP3DirectCut. I should stress that I have no direct experience (I'm purist enough to consider MP3 quality the spawn of the devil) but it might be worth a look.

Bob

Archived