Joining the Army

Guest lightnix

Maybe a tad OT, but one of the best gigs in the Forces is that of bandsman. IIRC you're classed as an officer (so receive higher pay) and will rarely, if ever, see any real action.

One very old friend of mine, had a cousin in the Forces, who was chosen to be the Queen Mother's personal piper. Anytime she had an official engagement, he *had* to go with her and pipe her off the 'plane, into banquets and whatnot. I don't think he fired a single shot in his entire military career; although he did get to see an awful lot of exotic locations, in peacetime :P

So get that tuba out and start practicing...

I have an ex-student who joined the Marines as a bandsman - she plays viola at embassy functions in a posh frock all over the world, plays trumpet in the marching band and is a medic on active duty abroad when deployed. Entry requirement is grade 8 on one instrument, and the ability to get to grade 8 on others very quickly. As in she was told she was playing trumpet, never having touched one before, and given 4 weeks to get there!

So get that tuba out and start practicing...
A friend of mine did just that. He bought himself out a short time later saying, "I signed up to play the damned thing, not polish it!" That said, it would be safer than being PBI.

Archived