live laptop sound

ron gunn

hi there

am new on the world of forums but hoping someone can give me some practical advice on sound related issue,

basically,

I have produced a lot of reason based music which I am intending to 'gig' live. I am working off a dell inspiron 6400 laptop though I would obviously want to hook it up to an in house sound [ i.e. mixer/turntable set up ]

I am looking at buying an express sound card rather than use the headphone socket [ which is a bit knackered to be honest ]

is this the right way to go as I have heard about usb audio interfaces but I need my usb ports for external midi controllers etc....

obviously I dont want to compromise on quality but is using the express card slot better than usb???

can anyone point me in the right direction??

I mainly make electronic techno music

thanks

is this the right way to go as I have heard about usb audio interfaces but I need my usb ports for external midi controllers etc....

Perhaps I'm looking at this wrongly because I've only used USB audio interfaces and not ones through cardbus, express and the like, but I would've thought you'd have much more versatility and choice grabbing a USB hub (though make sure it's not an old 1.1 hub!) and a USB sound card rather than hunting around for ones that will fit in an expresscard socket. If you're looking for something in this regard that's a cheap USB based card with balanced outputs and a low noise floor then I'd personally recommend the Edirol UA-25, but if you have a search around here for USB soundcards there's a lot of threads / options at your disposal :)

thanks for your input

another reason I was interested in the express card rather than the usb route was that I went on a course a year so ago and the guy was anti usb [pro firewire] , do you ever get any glitch / output issues with the usb? I am presuming that with a direct sound card you would get a better signal through rate or is that not the case with usb.02 ?

What exactly do you mean by signal rate? Do you mean bandwidth?

I've had issues with USB with quite a few interfaces, and hence I've always used Firewire which seems rock solid to me. Also, USB connections take up CPU, which has caused audio-glitching when I've been using large amounts of DSP (this is usually more with Logic than Reason for me). Firewire has it's own bus-chip which means the interface is not dependent on the CPU.

Your choice, but I almost always avoid USB for sound. I've never had any issues hotplugging too which most manufacturers seem to warn against.

Well I've got a reasonable mid spec laptop (not the latest and greatest at all but does what I need it to) and it's never had any problems running sound through USB - though yes, Alex's points are theoretically correct (I've just never had such issues in practice.)

There's certainly nothing wrong with going for a firewire card and if you prefer to do that great - my recommendation of the USB models was because a) I've used a few different ones personally without any issues and b) there seem to be more USB models readily available than firewire.

alex - what do you mean by hotplugging??

plugging/unplugging the soundcard (or anything really) whilst the laptop or PC is powered on, for som reason the firewire card manufacturers seem to not reccommend it, although Ive not heard of anyone having problems.

my USB box will only be detected if hot plugged in.

You could get a express card USB adapter - to give you more USB sockets, and then a USB sound card - a USB based sound card is going to more versatile for using with other computers than an express card based one.

You could get a express card USB adapter - to give you more USB sockets, and then a USB sound card - a USB based sound card is going to more versatile for using with other computers than an express card based one.

Plugging a sound card into a USB hub is not a great idea - it can introduce unwanted sounds. Best to plug the sound card into the USB port on the laptop and use a hub for other hardware.

The firewire data system copes with being hot plugged with few issues, but the version that also has power facilities can be 'difficult'. Some video equipment has warnings about not connecting the camera unless it is off. One manufacturer has above average firewire failures when people hotplug - not so good!

When you are using a laptop you also need to be aware of noise problems due to ground loops. In a live situation these can usually be cured by using DI boxes but, in order to cope with every eventuality, it might be worth thinking about buying your own DI boxes or buying an audio interface with built-in isolation (I seem to remember that ART make one).

I reckon that USB will be fine for a basic stereo output - Firewire really comes into its own when you are dealing with large numbers of inputs and outputs.

Cheers

James.

When you are using a laptop you also need to be aware of noise problems due to ground loops. In a live situation these can usually be cured by using DI boxes but, in order to cope with every eventuality, it might be worth thinking about buying your own DI boxes or buying an audio interface with built-in isolation (I seem to remember that ART make one).

I reckon that USB will be fine for a basic stereo output - Firewire really comes into its own when you are dealing with large numbers of inputs and outputs.

Cheers

James.

If we're talking with lots of inputs / outputs then I agree, firewire really would be the better choice by far!

With regards to ground loops and the like, James has reminded me - I'd personally add an ART DTI to your kit list if you haven't got one already, in the event that unwelcome noise does crop up from laptops, that 2 channel wonder has got me out of most such situations! And it's really not expensive either :)

thanks guys

All usefull information

I have tracked down an emu 1616 pcmcia system that looks perfect for me, I am upgrading my studio speakers to krk rp5's so the emu should be ideal for this and live situations when I hook into a live dj mixer set up

Ive recently replaced my toshiba laptops power supply from a 3pin cloverleaf plug type, to a fig of 8 2 pin powersupply also 19v 5a. The annoying background noise has gone away.

I guess 0v dv on the psu was grounded to the earth pin, causing the interference problem, which isnt just a hum loop type buzz, but cured by earth lifting.

Has anyone done a sound comparison on Interspace I2s pc headphone balance box, compared to a usb, and 2x di boxes?

Archived