crown xti and fans

strandgsx

to any xti users out there!

we have 8 of the 2000 series which we use to dry hire with wedges, handy as we can set limits etc for the cabs.

question is... through the software (hiqnet) is it possible to set the fans to run all the time? we having problems with these amps keep over heating even when not really doing anything and just playing up in general.

cheers

M

I don't know of a way to do it through System Architect but you can set the fan mode to always on using the front screen. Also worth checking that you are running the latest firmware.

Hold down the

"Sel/Enter" button while the amplifier is powering up. This will toggle the amp between "FAN

ON" full time fan and "FAN LO/HI" whichever is selected LO or HI.

Hold down the

"Next/Down" button while the amplifier is powering up. This will toggle the amp between "FAN

HI" and "FAN LO" modes.

edit: remove error

AHHH!!! Now I am really scared!!!!!

I was just about to click the buy button on a crown XTI 6000 to run my S 18 martin audio bins

Then I saw this!!

Hmmmmm

anyone else having a problem with XTIs ??

Rusty

to any xti users out there!

we have 8 of the 2000 series which we use to dry hire with wedges, handy as we can set limits etc for the cabs.

question is... through the software (hiqnet) is it possible to set the fans to run all the time? we having problems with these amps keep over heating even when not really doing anything and just playing up in general.

cheers

M

When the amp has booted up you should be able to bring up the diagnostic screen by holding down all three buttons for a few seconds. Use the up and down buttons to navigate through the screens.

It should show you:

PSU temp

Channel 1 temp

Channel 2 temp

Firmware Version

HiQnet System Address

Fan setting (Hi/Lo or On)

The temperature at which the fan comes on when set to Lo changed in the last firmware update from 43oC to 33oC so if you are having problems with over heating I would strongly suggest you make sure you are running firmware version 1.1.5.6 and the Lo setting works fine for me. (The Hi setting is 53oC just incase you were wondering).

Problems with the XTi series have been discussed on the BR a year or so ago when they had a batch with problems relating to the front panel ribbon cable but I have not heard of anything recently. If you are buying new you should be fine, I've had my two 4000s for year now and not a single problem.

The XTI's by default have the lowest fan speed as OFF. This is incredibly useful for quiet environments. It's only if you start to push them a little more does the fan kick in depending on your setting.

One thing that worried me at first when I bought the first batch was the fact they get really quiet warm on idle. This is simply due to the fans not running at all, they run cooler the more you push them (until you push them beyond their capabilities).

So to answer directly, as others have already done so. YES, it's possible to set the fans to be on all the time, but if you're really having overheating problems, you need to look elsewhere I'd say. Either, you're pushing them too hard, or there is not enough ventilation.

I guess the only real problem is if the amps do nothing for some time, get quite warm and then suddenly get a good seeing to giving the cooling system a hard time as its starting from warm...and getting warmer. I suppose this is why there IS a setting to adjust the fans.

• 8 months later...

Hi Guys,

Im having some problems that I think is ether related to temperature of the turning on of the fan.

They seen to run OK with fan set to full but with fan on low or hi the amp will run for a short while and then turn off. When I say this the amp will have no lights on it and will have no display information on it. The same unit with the fan on full seems to drive OK all night. I have perviously put this down to over heating but this week one of the units did this when not being driven that hard at all. this got me thinking that these units have a thermal light so if it was heat would the amp not stay on and just cut audio?

It seems to me that the amp may cut power when the fan was intended to kick in on the low and hi settings and because of this its ok on the ONFULL setting.

To reset we have to push power off and then on again.

Any similar problems or advice would be great.

Chris

No matter where the fan setting is, if they get hot enough, they will force the fan to run to prevent overheating. If they're genuinely overheating, ie getting so hot that they cut out on thermal protection, then I agree with Rob that there is probably another problem somewhere else.

Hi Chris

Just to point out to all involved, we're talking about an issue other than that of the OP's now.

The switching off is sadly not an overtemp problem. It's a software/firmware issue that has raised its head on a few amps. How many do you have that are doing this?

It's very interesting that you suspect a link to this fault via the FAN settings. It's something that may well have some weight to it. We purchased one second hand that had been used out of the country in a very hot climate. The fan setting had been set to always on via the front panel. This one developed a similar issue. It also did this when changing a preset VIA USB, yet not when done on the front panel. We've since sold this one on as spares of repair.

I'd really like to look into this alot more as if I can determine what causes this and get onto Crown (not via anyone in the UK as quite frankly it's like working with a set of %"£%^)* and try and get it cleared up.

*Yes, them.

Thanks Rob,

I think we are talking about a real problem with the XTI units as I think if our units were overheating they would first cut out and light the thermal light. Ours seen to just turn off all power.

we have 5 of the XTI 2000 all bought with in 6 months of each other. We are in the process of testing them all but I know we have at least 2 maybe 3 that have done this on site.

I heard a rummer that this could be related to the ribbon cable connecting the front board but I have nothing to back that up. Have you not had any luck with Crown in the UK?

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

yeah I worked with 3x crown amplifiers the other night, 2x crown XTI 4000 running mids 1 channel per mid speaker to 4x dual 12" + 2"horn JBL line array speakers (don't ask me for model numbe4) and XTI 1000 running highs 2x speakers per channel (bi amplification, and camco amplifier running bass to 2x dual 18" subwoofers, so 3 way system with top speakers and bass speakers

I decided to shut the amplifers down and off to plug something in then turned them back on, and for some reason the xti 1000 took about 2 mins before any lights or anything turned on,

I was just wondering what would have caused that.

• 2 weeks later...

There was a problem with the Crown XTi range on the earlier models.

I have a pair of XTi 4000s and both developed faults, the units are 3 & 2 and a half years old and gigged every weekend, typically they would drop out on the one side, thermal overload (under very little gain) or just sound bad!

Both fixed under warranty by Sound Technology in Letchworth (01462 480000) by the service dept free of charge with no return postage charged and returned in just over a week, superb service.

The repair work included:

Ribbon Cable Intermitant

Heatsink

Replaced front panel and loaded new firmware

Then tested for five days

When I first used these amps they where great so I guess it was a problem that developed over time. To Crowns credit I'm sure if you buy new now there will be very few problems and for the price they offer great value - maybe a recall in the early days would have been wise tho, it can't just be bad luck that they both had the same fault? Crown claim the failure rate is only 2% but I'm not so sure!

Many years ago I also had a similar problem with Ribbon Cables in QSC PLX amps, QSC recalled all models in a certain seriel number range regardless of age and fixed for free so maybe a lesson here for Crown? - or if you going to use switching amps then delve deep and go for Lab or for a cheap (ish) Crown amp go with the XS1200, heavy but bombproof!

My advice would be to contact Sound Technology if you have problems with your XTi's

Good luck...

Archived