Music Agencies

yabba

Hi everyone. I don't know if I'm in the right place....I don't even know if I'm on the right website to be honest...but.... I play in an indie/rock covers in a small town called Whitby. It's very difficult to get gigs here due to limited venues. Over the last couple of years we have began to creep out of this town and play the surrounding areas, but now we want to take the next step and go global....well all over the UK, but we aren't sure where to start agency wise. I've spoke to a couple, but our music isn't what they are looking for. We play Stereophonics, Green Day, Oasis etc...nothing to heavy. We have all been in previous successfull bands over the last 10/15.

Basically, does anyone know of any music agencies that take bands like us on. We'd love to get into things like student unions etc. We have applied to the alive network and are waiting to hear back from them.

Thanks in advance...or apologies if I'm in the wrong place!!!

Cheers

James

Can't give you specific agents, as they all look for different things at different times, but get yourself onto the showcase website, or buy the book and go through all of the ones listed in that. There's loads out there, and if you can prove you are good and can get gigs, they'll take you. Remember - they get a cut. It's always down to the bottom line.

As for student unions - the other way to do things would be to send your press pack to each ents manager. They do most of the bookings but they need reliable, good and entertaining bands. Get a website with videos of shows and a MP3 version of one of your tracks (watch out for copyright infringement). Just google each and every union and get the addresses. Long process, but you keep the agents cut which you can spend on a good press pack.

Can't give you specific agents, as they all look for different things at different times, but get yourself onto the showcase website, or buy the book and go through all of the ones listed in that. There's loads out there, and if you can prove you are good and can get gigs, they'll take you. Remember - they get a cut. It's always down to the bottom line.

As for student unions - the other way to do things would be to send your press pack to each ents manager. They do most of the bookings but they need reliable, good and entertaining bands. Get a website with videos of shows and a MP3 version of one of your tracks (watch out for copyright infringement). Just google each and every union and get the addresses. Long process, but you keep the agents cut which you can spend on a good press pack.

Thanks alot for that. It's interesting you mentioned a website cos it's something I have been looking into all weekend. Obviously being a covers band we are unsure of how to get around the copyright law, but plenty seem to do it. The problem I am having is that I am strugging to find a company that will give us a domain and let us use audio tracks on the website!

Thanks alot for that. It's interesting you mentioned a website cos it's something I have been looking into all weekend. Obviously being a covers band we are unsure of how to get around the copyright law, but plenty seem to do it. The problem I am having is that I am strugging to find a company that will give us a domain and let us use audio tracks on the website!

Myspace is your friend. You can upload four tracks + and design it to look as good as a full website. Myspace isn't really used for social networking anymore, but pretty much every band who wants a gig in our venue will send us a myspace link.

As for showcase: http://www.showcase-music.com/results.aspx...r=P7&page=3

Good luck.

EDIT: to mention: some of the agents on that site are the serious contenders. I'd check their roster before you send an email. Many of them wouldn't even consider a covers band.

Also: myspace also require your tracks to have copyright permission!!

I know many in the older generation consider it a tad awful, but consider getting a MySpace page. that will let you upload tracks, videos, ect, as well as having important info about your band, with minimal effort, even if you just set one up while working on a proper site.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived