Quick Help

Ali2580

Need a quick few suggestions....

Got an outdoor gig which we are needing sound equipment for. The company we are hiring from are Meyer dealers so it's basically a range of Meyer products.

Since it's just a basic sound thing for a day just for some entertainment for a charity event we are running a couple of mics through a Midas Venice 160 or similar desk and going to.... [this is where I need help]

The speakers available are Meyer: UPA-1P, UPA-1A, UPJ-1P, UPM-1P, UPM-1....they do need to cover a fair distance which is why we were going to use 4 which are a bit of a distance away from each other so it covers the whole area.

I have looked on the Meyer website for some details but I don't have the best knowledge or speakers so need a few suggestions.

Like I said, just a basic thing but need to know which speakers are the best to hire?

Thanks if anyone replies.

Hi,

UPA-1P's and A's (Passive or active) are a widely used cabinet in theatre work, The go quite loud and are good for vocal reinforcement. The actives would probably serve you better over long distances with regards to voltage drop etc.

The UMP's are a smaller box, usually used for front fills or delays in a theatre and although nice would probably be unsuitable for outdoor work.

Im not sure about the UPJ-1P's, I would advise going into the warehouse if you can and listening for yourself visualizing the area needed to be covered etc. If the UPA's are too small then an MSL-2 is a larger cabinet that meyer make, also quite popular in theatre.

Be aware if you haven't used meyer kit before you should use a speaker controller for all of the boxes mentioned above, these EQ and time / phase align the boxes, as-well as giving protection and gain features.

HTH

Jack B

Need a quick few suggestions....

Got an outdoor gig which we are needing sound equipment for. The company we are hiring from are Meyer dealers so it's basically a range of Meyer products.

Since it's just a basic sound thing for a day just for some entertainment for a charity event we are running a couple of mics through a Midas Venice 160 or similar desk and going to.... [this is where I need help]

The speakers available are Meyer: UPA-1P, UPA-1A, UPJ-1P, UPM-1P, UPM-1....they do need to cover a fair distance which is why we were going to use 4 which are a bit of a distance away from each other so it covers the whole area.

I have looked on the Meyer website for some details but I don't have the best knowledge or speakers so need a few suggestions.

Like I said, just a basic thing but need to know which speakers are the best to hire?

Thanks if anyone replies.

Have you thought about asking advice from the hire company?

If they are dealers they should know their product.

SW

UPA-1Ps sound better than their older 1A counterparts, but seeing as you are outside the unpowered cabinets may be the more practical choice. UPJs are very nice sounding, are nearly as loud as a UPA and are easier to array as they have a slightly narrower coverage (or narrower still if you rotate the horn). Do you have the option of UPA-2s, as these make arraying multiple boxes very easy and throw a bit further?

Archived