Handrail question

apspete

I am trying to design a new handrail system for the front of a temporary mezzanine in an entertainment venue, but I cant seem to find much guidance on what is allowed. Can anyone point me at hse docs or building control docs that outlines the law for handrail design in this situation.

A bit more infor - The mezzanine has a floor surface of 2.5m above the downstairs floor, and the paying guests attending parties/events have access. I understand the height of the handrail has to be 1100mm, but what can be below this? (vertical spindles, horizontal wires, perspex etc) does it have to have a kick board, what about spacing of vertical spindles, do they have to be less than 100mm, are horizontal divides allowed?

I have a section where only performers have access, what rules would apply here? the client is keen to have a minimalist handrail here so the crowd can see the dancers.

Any help or pointers will be gratefully received

Pete.

The document that you need is the ABTT Technical Standards for Places of Entertainment (also known as the Yellow Book). I don't have my copy in front of me right now but I Know that there is plenty of guidance in there on handrails including hights, strength, kickboards, intermediate rails etc.

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/1904031536.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Mike

Edit: link added

As said, the Yellow Book is your key guide; requirements for toe/kick boards and intermediate rails vary depending on the use. As with all these things, your own risk assessment is always valid.

In general with chairs and furniture nearby a kickboard is essential; and if children can be expected to access the area they shouldn't be able to fall through the railing.

From the many different designs I've seen in various venues, it looks like the requirement for what's below the rail is the same as a residential situation. i.e. a 100mm sphere must not be able to pass through it but how you achieve it is up to you.

The biggest issue is going to be strength, particularly of the fixings to the temporary floor. I don't have a yellow book to quote from, but I suspect that the regs will require it withstand a crowd leaning on it which will create very large forces at the bottom of the supports.

As for minimalist, glass or perspex would allow a clear view as long as reflections from the lighting are not going to cause a problem.

Building Regs Part K and BS6180 are bits to read.

'100mm spacing' if children under 5 will be in the area.

As for the performers-only bit, more scope is available as you can train them to work in the space, a la theatre stage sets/front of stage analogy, where essentially it comes down to assessing and dealing with the risks

I needn't repeat what has been said above, but part K, 6180 and 6399-1 are all directly relevant.

Building regulations 'approved documents' can be viewed online via the Planning Portal.

You don't mention access to, or indeed the mezzanine itself. I presume that this has been thought about. Given the temporary nature, are you using a standard system e.g. Steeldeck/Litedeck etc? If so, the manufacturer may have their own handrail system which they could confirm as already meeting the standards for the application you describe. If you use this then you could save yourself a lot of hassle. Alternatively you may wish to design your own handrails for aesthetic (or other) reasons if you feel you are competent to assess that it can withstand the loads prescribed in BS6399 etc. Building control are likely to be quite helpful if you decide to contact them for advice, especially re. the public/performer areas.

David

• 2 weeks later...

I worked in a venue the same as you have described. We had slot in handrails so that the area could have them removed for performences. I build stages myself and alot is always down to risk assesments and insurance. I have 12 years experience and my insurance company accepts I am a UK expert in the field. Obviously if I had an accident they would scrutinize everything but I am still covered.

You will need a hand rail with a secondary lower rail. I think you can get away with no kick board unless people are going to have glass or bottles in the area. They will no doubt put on floor and kick down (so a kick plate would be needed.) Or a no drinks policy in that area.

Most enginnering firms worth there salt no the regs and can advise on building regs.

The dance podiums if larger than 8x8ft for professional dancers not public can be void of handrails if the drop is not more than 5ft. This would be reliant on a good risk assesment. White edging around the edge of stage and no more than one dancer on the area. Also no drinks on the platform. I would still cover my ass and put rails around the back and sides.

If in doubt get the dancers to sign risk assesment with all hazards explained.

John

• 4 weeks later...

As mentioned earlier there is a big difference if your going to be having it as a public access area. The 100mm ball test is applicable when doing that and will normally require a kick board and second lower rail.

Richard from Flints theatrical chandlers

I worked in a venue the same as you have described. We had slot in handrails so that the area could have them removed for performences. I build stages myself and alot is always down to risk assesments and insurance. I have 12 years experience and my insurance company accepts I am a UK expert in the field. Obviously if I had an accident they would scrutinize everything but I am still covered.

You will need a hand rail with a secondary lower rail. I think you can get away with no kick board unless people are going to have glass or bottles in the area. They will no doubt put on floor and kick down (so a kick plate would be needed.) Or a no drinks policy in that area.

Most enginnering firms worth there salt no the regs and can advise on building regs.

The dance podiums if larger than 8x8ft for professional dancers not public can be void of handrails if the drop is not more than 5ft. This would be reliant on a good risk assesment. White edging around the edge of stage and no more than one dancer on the area. Also no drinks on the platform. I would still cover my ass and put rails around the back and sides.

If in doubt get the dancers to sign risk assesment with all hazards explained.

John

Archived