Reverb unit

IA76

Hi

We need to add a certain type of reverb effect to our PA system but none of the sub £250 mixers we have tried that have built in effects have been suitable.

It's been suggested to us that we purchase a http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/DSP2024P.aspx as this has much more scope for reverb effects.

What I want to know is once we set the reverb effect we want on the behringer how do we get different levels of this effect to the 6 different mics connected to our mixer eg. mic 1 should have 50 % effect while mic 2 should have 75% etc?

Thanks

As John says, adding a reverb effect is relatively easy, so long as your mixer has a spare Aux channel (a post fade aux to be precise for reverb work) and either an aux return or (preferably) a spare fader channel to use for the return. You can achieve the balance you need by tweaking the channel strip aux send controls.

One thing I'd say though is that, although a fan of some Behringer stuff, I've never much liked the reverb sound on the Virtualiser Pro unit. I used to own one and used it a lot for "special effects" on things like panto--but would rarely, if ever, use it for normal vocals.

If you can swing more cash, I'd have a listen to something like a TC Electronics M350 (or, even better, but more, an M-One XL). Otherwise, if you just need reverb and no other effects, have a listen to a cheapie like an Alesis Nanoverb. Give Plate 3 on that little box a listen--works well for a lot of vocals and even cheaper than the Behringer.

Bob

I used to own one of the 2024's. It was ok for the money but not amazing. I wasn't aware they still did them. The REV2496 is a better unit although it never really took off. I'd look at a second hand offering from TC, Lexicon or Yamaha. A second hand SPX990 can cost as little as £150. Ok it's more than twice the new cost of the Behringer but does have a better sound. I can't comment on the Nanoverb as I've never used one, but if Bob says it's good that'll do for me.

I agree with Rob about the Rev2496....much nicer sound 'verbs than the Virtualiser. However, when I went to the Behringer site to check the current price I noticed it was listed as discontinued--quite a pity.

Obviously if you can find a second hand TC or Yamaha SPX series in your range, that would be better still. The SPX kit seems to be built like a tank...I know an awful lot of 990s still in a good many racks...and still being used often. For just a simple reverb, even the REV500 can sound really good.

Bob

Be cautious if considering a used reverb unit - the inbuilt memory chips that provide the 'work area' for the sound have a limited life, and this applies to all makes, even the expensive ones. A unit from a studio that hasn't been gigged may seem like a better deal than an ex-hire unit, but if the studio unit was left continuously powered up, like most are, then it will have steadily been using up read-write cycles even if it wasn't apparently doing anything. Be doubly suspicious of anything over 10 years old.

For this reason, it's essential that you listen to any used reverb before parting with your hard-earned cash - it should be almost silent, with more or less background 'hiss' depending on the quality of the op-amps used in its construction. If it has a regular 'tick' or makes any other sort of repeated noise when there's no input, that's a clue that all's not well with the memory, in which case you'll be better off if you look elsewhere - it's rarely economic to repair such units, even if you can get the parts.

Be cautious if considering a used reverb unit - the inbuilt memory chips that provide the 'work area' for the sound have a limited life, and this applies to all makes, even the expensive ones.

I think you might be getting a little confused with different types of memory here. The only type of memory with serious lifetime problems is going to be the earlier types of flash memory. Most of the effects boxes that I've used have dynamic RAM for the delays themselves and battery backed up static RAM for storing program information and setup information. Neither types of RAM have short lifetimes in my experience but you will have to replace the batteries from time to time if you want to keep your presets.

I have a few reverb units here from our old studio which were powered up for 12 hours a day for 10 years and are still regularly powered up for a few hours at a time now. They've not shown any memory problems (although some of the displays are a bit dim).

Cheers

James.

Archived