Side Lighting for Ballet

vinntec

I am just finalising LX design for Fame the Musical and intend to try and follow Mr Jules' earlier advice about ballet booms for the two ballet sequences. I can only fit one pair of booms in and two profiles on each for the dance (shins and tits). I don't want anyone to do the design for me, but with two profiles either side focused as already explained, what would dance people recommend I should do for gels? I believe I want pastal shades like face lighting, but should they be all the same (L153?) or shins and tits different (L103 + L153?), or different in all four? Suggestions welcome, especially from the illustrious Mr Jules! Thanks -- Peter Vincent, UK :)

Kevne - thanks for that. Yes that would match pretty well - L201 + L109 or possibly L111. I just want something definite based on past experience to precut and rig during two day getin, but will experiment with it once the dancers are available on the third day and fine tune. Regards -- PV

2 different colours will give you the opportunity for colour mixing. The same colour in each will be lovely and smooth if you want a clean look. Just as we can't possibly suggest which colours without knowing the moods you want to create, nor can we say which look will suit the piece, only the pros and cons of each look.

Think of the moods you want to create and then chose the lighting to suit. Saying you want it to look like "ballet" is like saying you want it to look like "a play" or "a musical". If there was only one play, one musical and one ballet then all us LDs would be out of a job and the Chief LXs would light the shows by doing the same thing they did last time they had "the ballet" in! :)

L201 + L109 or possibly L111.

Aaack! No yuo! That's a recipe for candy. If you want to go cool/warm then can I suggest 203/152

Pale gold is an excellent colour - looks nice on skin and nearly all costumes. If you want pinky then can I suggest 107 rather than 111.

Further good reading BTW if you have not already found it is here on my esteemed colleague's site:

Dance Lighting introduction - On Stage Lighting

/j

Archived