Another Logic System advice thread.

Rob K

Hello chaps,

We are after a mid-sized rig, and I have someone offering me a used Logic System setup. It's XP15 tops, XP150 subs, an XB6 high-pass to go with the subs and a Peavey CS4000 power amp. Would anyone like to share their thoughts/experiences of this system?

To give an idea of what it will be used for; mostly for this rig it'll be choir concerts with a backing track - so track + 100 kids or so, just miked with four condensers. The track is pop stuff though so it does need a bit of kick. Occasionally it'll be used for a girl band, four mics plus track, up to about 400 people in the crowd, when it will really need some proper low-end.

Very occasionally it might be used for a rap band, three vocals plus track/guitar/drums.

At the moment the choir concerts use an HK Elias system or an LEM rig, I've forgotten the make and model but it's 15" powered subs with an amp in the same box to the tops, and 12" + horn in the top boxes... The LEM is slightly underpowered, the HK would do the girl band gigs if pushed. The girl band have a d&b rig (four E15s per side and two MAX wedges per side as tops) and the rap band use the same rig or go out with hired C7. I'm also considering getting some small JBL powered boxes for the smaller choir concerts. So our rigs would be (in order of size)... pair of JBL boxes, LEM system, HK Elias, d&b E&max rig, d&b C7. Where would the Logic System rig fit into this, and is it any good?

Cheers in advance... :)

The short answer is that the logic system wouldn't fit into this at all. I've heard a little of the logic system stuff, and it sounded good. Not D&B/meyer good, but certainly in the same league as HK's lower range stuff. I'm not sure which organisation you're buying this for, whether it is a hire company or what, but

1) If you've already got 2 rigs that can do the job adequately, why are you buying another one?

2) If you do have a strong case for buying another rig then why don't you stick with one of the two pro audio brands you're using?

3) If you can get it for a killer price (as in make a significant profit on resale) then I would buy it

4) instead of buying some JBL powered speakers, and diluting the range of manufacturers even further why not think about the boxes on offer from d&b or HK? Might I suggest a pair of HK darts on sticks which could double as fantastic monitors, and they don't cost much more at all than the EON's, especially given the propensity of the Eon's to lose HF drivers along the way, and the savings you'll make in that area.

The short answer is that the logic system wouldn't fit into this at all. I've heard a little of the logic system stuff, and it sounded good. Not D&B/meyer good, but certainly in the same league as HK's lower range stuff. I'm not sure which organisation you're buying this for, whether it is a hire company or what, but

1) If you've already got 2 rigs that can do the job adequately, why are you buying another one?

2) If you do have a strong case for buying another rig then why don't you stick with one of the two pro audio brands you're using?

3) If you can get it for a killer price (as in make a significant profit on resale) then I would buy it

4) instead of buying some JBL powered speakers, and diluting the range of manufacturers even further why not think about the boxes on offer from d&b or HK? Might I suggest a pair of HK darts on sticks which could double as fantastic monitors, and they don't cost much more at all than the EON's, especially given the propensity of the Eon's to lose HF drivers along the way, and the savings you'll make in that area.

Hurray, a reply! Thanks Matt...

1. It's not hire - it will be used for a primary school project that we roll out all over the UK. It involves the kids putting on a concert. It's getting busy enough that we need 3 rigs on the same night, often when all the d&b is out on other gigs.

2. We have been looking at another HK rig, more d&b would be too expensive at the moment. The Logic System rig is on offer (lightly used) for less than the (new) HK rig we've been looking at. I was under the impression that Logic System stuff is generally better regarded than HK. I haven't had a chance to hear them side-by-side but I'm not convinced by the build quality of HK and would like to look into other options.

3. I would say it's reasonable, but not killer.

4. The JBLs are also used, hence a quick, cheap and easy solution to cover some of the smallest gigs and use as side fills on the bigger band gigs.

Cheers

Rob

I think it's worth sorting out what the rig is. I think the rig is the 'XP' version of the LS15 and 15" sub and not the newer powered XP stuff. Hence the XB6 controller (which means the subs are running down to 40 hz) and the amp.

So, good boxes, originally made for the MI market to get away from the good old blue carpet stuff.

Normally I'd say that the rig wasn't big enough for 400 (with headroom) but if an ELIAS is working ok for you, then it may well do.

It won't have the 'shaped' sound of the HK, but will be clean and clear, though you'll have to decide if the CS4000 sounds good enough.

• 8 months later...

I purchased my logic-system speakers including the X150P passive bass bins after going around PLASA and listening to everyone that I could find. I think that these are top end speakers. Interesting to read other views as we all have different ears and preferences.

IMHO Logic System is much better than the HK stuff I've heard, for a start HK tend to give their peak dB output at 10%THD on their spec sheets?! That's far too much distortion for my liking, and you can get MUCH louder boxes in the same size/similar price range quoting peak outputs around the 0.5%THD mark.

I've used a fair bit of the Logic System stuff and found it to be exeptional 'bang for the buck', I'd put it up there with Martin Audio stuff in terms of quality.

Archived