LS9-32 in Theatre?

Brad123

Hey Guys,

I'm the Technical Coordinator in a smallish venue (302 seats) and we're upgrading our rig to a Nexo PS15 Rig. Currently

I'm running a O2R Console that's on it's last legs and I want a new digital board to replace it. We mix everything from theatre shows to unrehearsed high school music nights in the venue. We also stock a GL2200 as an analogue alternative.

The rig will also be traveling outdoors around 5 times a year for high end acts with upto 7000 people.

I want some advise whether an LS9-32 is going to be versatile enough to to do this?

If not... what is?

Thanks in advance, Brad.

I'm an unashamed LS9 evangelist, but I think they're fantastic. My advice would be to run it with a laptop connected, though, as IMHO the weak point of the LS9 is the tiny, non-touch screen, which makes the user interface a bit clunky. If you run the editor along with it you'll be able to get to everything a bit more quickly. Also, the lack of jack inputs on the desk can be a pain, so it's worth looking at buying a jack expansion card (or a cheapo 4-way DI to rack up next to the console if you don't need 32 mics).

As a recent LS9 convert, its worth knowing you can expand the desk with 2 8 way analog cards via a 25 way D connector- cards are about £450ish, but alows you to have 48 in analog on XLR without going digital.

id echo whats been said about the touchscreen- a laptop makes life so much easier:)

great piece of kit in comparison to other offerings.

dan

Another endorsement from me. If you're used to mixing on the O2R, you'll find the transition to the LS9 easy--it's a board designed for live work as opposed to a studio/post board that you can use for live. I own a DM1000 and find moving back and forth relatively easy. If you've never used a touch screen you won't miss it...but don't try an M7CL or you'll develop a case of gear envy!

Given a choice of an 02R or LS9 for live work I'd take the LS9 (and I've used an 02R lots in audio post) so I'd say you're moving the right direction. I don't personally find the lack of jack inputs a problem (I prefer a latching connector anyway) but just have a big box of adaptors. I personally use the ADAT cards and cheapie ADA8000s for expansion but the analogue ins on the D type are a nice way of working if the budget stretches.

The only little quibble I can think of from your description of needs is that outdoors the display screen can be hard to see...but that applies to just about any screen-based interface I can think of.

Bob

The only little quibble I can think of from your description of needs is that outdoors the display screen can be hard to see...but that applies to just about any screen-based interface I can think of.

Cardboard & gaffer tape :)

I'd also recomend having a look at the Ilive T series rather than an LS9-32 The T80 and one of the mixracks should come in at around the same price and you get the benefit of having a nice lightweight cat5 multi and IMHO it sounds a lot nicer as desks go as well as being a lot more flexible than the LS9 as you can also plug a laptop or PL controller in on stage to use to do monitors. Ilives are pretty easy to get around as well, the problem I've found with all the Yamahas from the original 02R back in 1995 through PM1D, PM5D etc is that under pressure not everything is done the same way through the range so there will be a learning curve to whichever route you take.

Charlie

+1 for the ilive and idr, I nearly bought the roland system but went for the ilive because it has far more dsp where it is needed for live applications, geq on all monitor sends etc, one core for 32 or 48 channels etc . The operating system is easior for newbies to pick up than the yamaha in my aged opinion.

Just to throw a spanner in the works , at my big gig , I have a Soundcraft Vi6 which I love and my small gig is currently looking at upgrading our gear.

At the moment we use a GL2200 for bands and a 20s mixwizard for multiple stereo source playback. A few of potential suppliers have been trying to push a digital option , mostly the LS9 .

I have had a poke at the LS9 a few times and babysat umpteen blokes bringing one in and plumbing into my house system. I am not that mad on it myself , probably I am a bit spoilt with the Vi6 , but could not claim to be an experienced user , so have hesitated to accept one.

Have been offered an M400 but after a chat with a few mates thought that Roland are not really known as a player in the live console market as yet , although I am sure we all have come across their outboard gear , and I am sure they have a few 'home studio' digital solutions.

Anyway , one of the suppliers that offered me an LS9 is coming in next week to give me a demo of the A & H ILive , so have had a quick look at it online , it looks interesting , and may have a better idea about it after next week , or a bit later if we decide to go for it.

I have to agree about the Vi6 interface...it's probably my favourite digital desk from a user point of view and it sounds good too. My use was in it's early days and there were some reliability problems then but I assume these have long since been sorted out.

However, the Vi6 is in a very different league in price terms and unlikely to be within the budget of somebody considering an LS9.

I haven't yet had a chance to try the new A&H digital--I hear good things but not many have made the trip down under yet. I've also never tried the Tascam--I might consider it if I was the only user but my impression for general use is the same as andylouder.

One thing worth considering though is that the other advantage of the LS9 in the OP's situation is that the Yamaha board probably has the largest trained user base of any digital mixer out there. Nothing else comes close on that side of things.

Bob

The LS9 has better channel EQ than the Roland.

The Roland has a built-in recording interface - it's extra cost on the Yamaha.

The Roland does not require expensive copper. But if you already have the copper.....

The LS9 has more faders, and can be expanded to 64 channels.

We are going to get an LS9, in part because we can locally rent a replacement should we ever have a problem. I'm looking at the MY8-ADDA96 card for additional line level inputs. It has Phoenix (euro) connectors ;-( but there are eight outs in addition to the eight ins. When we decide to record, we'll likely get a Dante card.

In the US, a T80 + 32ch engine retails for $17,000. An LS9-32 is $12,000. Hopefully the difference is less in the UK. Can the master section faders serve as channel faders instead? If not, I can't imagine using it for theater unless one makes extensive use of scenes - which is one thing we hope to be able to do of course - our current show of 19 voices is a bit of a nuisance to mix on faders - even with them all on one layer (analog console).

Thanks Guys,

I really appreciate the quick replies!

I'm feeling that the LS9-32 is the way to go. Especially being expandable and the capability is there for me to upgrade to a digital multicore too.

I'm running a desktop with ubuntu on it in my biobox anyway so that should be able to hook up to the LS9 perfectly. (May need to reload windows though... not sure about the compatibility issues with LS9 + Ubuntu...)

Unfortunately TimmyP1955, I'm in neither UK or US. Australia actually. LS9's are about $17,000AUD -ish up this way. You can score em cheaper if you look...

Thanks again guys... :)

Brad

We have an LS9 in our 250 seat educational venue, with a Soundcraft GB8 as analogue alternative as opposed to the GL2200. It does handle what's thrown at it well, although it can be faster to do the patching and naming over Studio Manager as mentioned as opposed to on the desk.

We also play alot with MIDI recall on ours to tie it into the Mac-based cue system we have here.

Personally I prefer the Yamaha for our needs from an education point of view; as the wide acceptability provides a good grounding.

We put an LS9-32 in last year and although it took me a while to get to know the system (I'm still learning!) the desk really does represent a lot of 'bang for your buck' - I think it was the right choice for us and in any case that was at the top of our budget <_<

Cheers

Anton

Archived