Large Goods Vehicle Drivers and Operators read this

John Diamond

"From 10th of September, any newly licenced LGV driver must have a Driver CPC. They get this by passing the Driver CPC theory and practical tests. These are in addition to the tests they must sit to get their LGV driving licence.

Anyone already licenced to drive a goods vehicle over 3.5 tonnes before 10th September does not have to sit the initial Driver CPC tests. However, all LGV drivers will have to complete 35 hours of Driver CPC training every five years, or they will no longer be allowed to drive professionally."

Linky : Aviva Risk Management Solutions

There are exceptions from the Driver CPC qualification for drivers of vehicles:

• carrying material or equipment to be used by that person in the course of his or her work, provided that driving that vehicle does not constitute the driver’s principal activity*

*An example of a driver under exemption vii (also known as “incidental driver”) would be a brick layer who drives a load of bricks from the builder’s yard to the building site and then spends their working day laying bricks. In this case, driving a lorry is incidental to their main occupation.

Existing lgv drivers have untill Sept 2014 before they need a CPC card.

Whilst this is strictly true, it doesn't apply to this industry.... It all comes down to "driving professionally"

According to the leaflet that came round not so long ago and my chat with VOSA, drivers who drive HGV's but not as the main part of their job do not have to complete the CPC. I.e if your truck is mainly driven by project manager/set builder/crew etc then that is considered their job, however if you employ a dedicated delivery driver who does nothing more than deliver kit, even if they drive a sprinter 19 out of 20 days a month they are considered a professional driver and need to complete a CPC.

P.

Ditto the above, if driving is not your main profession it's ok, but it becomes a bit more sketchy when you were employed because you could drive - such as small scale touring.

For example, if you are the LX tech for the shows, but drive the truck between venues (even though it is full of the kit you require to do your LX job), I think it would be hard to prove you don't need CPC. I'm sure if it was just the odd occasion common sense would say it was ok, but as part of your weekly job I think this would then class as professional.

Just my 2p

Interestingly, with the introduction of the driver CPC, you can drive CatC/C+E (Class2 and Class1 in old money) at 18, providing you've passed the relative tests etc ... 18 year old's in charge of artic's? scary! ... Doubt many people would insure this though!

Sourced from the DVLA website, so yes, it is genuine.

Insurance for these types of vehicles is often alot easier to obtain and often cheaper due to the fact that each driver will have had more training than someone who has had just a test in a car. Of course, you do get people that can drive a 7.5tonne truck having only passed a car test if they passed pre 1997, this is one thing that causes issue. Personally, whilst it's a pain, I agree with the fact that you should take a further test to drive vehicles over 3.5tonnes as it is now, that way it can keep people driving large vehicles equally qualified to do the job. This in turn should level off and insurance costs even more so.

From what I have seen ( it could just be in my area) but most vehicles OVER 7.5 tonne when insured are insured on any driver policies, whereby any driver qualified to drive it, can do so, this gets around alot of complications with named drivers ad people can be hired in from anywhere to take a truck to anywhere. It MAY work differently in other areas but I doubt it.

Ditto the above, if driving is not your main profession it's ok, but it becomes a bit more sketchy when you were employed because you could drive - such as small scale touring.

For example, if you are the LX tech for the shows, but drive the truck between venues (even though it is full of the kit you require to do your LX job), I think it would be hard to prove you don't need CPC. I'm sure if it was just the odd occasion common sense would say it was ok, but as part of your weekly job I think this would then class as professional.

Just my 2p

I can second this one. My first freelance job required me, as part of my specified duties, to drive a minibus between venues. As it was in my contract, and I was recieving payment from that contract, the chap I spoke to at the DVLA said it would be classed as driving for 'hire or reward,' and therefore considered driving professionally. Therefore I had to do a full D1 catagory PCV licence. Once my 'grandfather' rights to not hold a CPC expire, I would also need to hold one to drive in those circumstances.

Motor vehicle licencing is a very murky grey area of legislation with so many exceptions and exceptions to exceptions that it's worth checking the rules about the vehicle you are being asked to drive VERY carefully!

Archived