Lexi MX200 | TC M350

mervaka

Hey all,

I'm in the market for an inexpensive dual channel effects unit with a summed stereo out for live use. I've shortlisted the MX200 and M350, but if others are worth considering, then say so. I cant really pick between these two units on their front panel alone as they're very similar, so I need some experienced opinions of both units, preferably from someone who has heard both and can point at one based on the merits of the DSP inside them, which I cannot hear myself until I get them in the post.

Discuss, please.

I'll be watching this with interest too. The TC has a footswitch jack for the tap tempo which is very useful to me. The Lexi has a USB port for easy editing/using as a VST plugin which might be useful. Reverb quality is the single most important question to me, though it's very subjective. I had a TC M3000 unit for a while which was absolutely fantastic - really useful and accurate, and a Lexicon LXP-15 which was capable of some great 'fantasy' reverbs. This one will be my workhorse PA reverb/effects.

Having used both I would prefer the MX200, its easy to use and sounds pretty good for the price. in my experience the TC M350 doesn't sound as good. and you only get certain effects per engine whereas the MX200 can have the same effects on each engine and the tempo is independent on each engine.

The only advantage with the TC is the tempo foot switch.

Hope this helps

yeah, the footswitch jack struck a nice chord with me, too. I run an integrated desk/rack system, so was thinking of dropping a couple of microswitches into the top of the rack for bypass/tap

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

thanks joe, it's that exactly that sort of criticism I'm after.

Well, just to completely confuse poor Mervaka...

I personally prefer the sound of the TC over the Lexicon (having used both). I tend to find Lexicon effects just a tad "metallic" in sound with the TC being (to my ears) warmer and a bit more like a natural room. Somebody else described the Lexicon as good for fantasy effects and on this I agree--in my annual panto I used to put the Lexicon on duty for "magic" but use the TC for lead vocals--if you see what I mean.

However, that's totally subjective (and probably affected by both the rest of the system and the voices being processed). Certainly I know people who swear by Lexicon effects too! Frankly I'm not disappointed to find either in an effects rack.

Bob

I have an MX200 and the good points IMHO are it's easy use and has a number of routing options and my favourite is the audition button . I tend to control the MX200 from a laptop because the parameters make more sense . However I prefer the sound of my Yamaha REV 100

on the contrary bob, you're not the first person to say that to me. I've been told from another reputable guy pretty much exactly what you said, in that the lexicon sounds metallic, while the TC sounds warm. I'm not too bothered about the USB interface on the lexi as it will probably never be used :)

I'm veering somewhat for the TC now. I like the idea of having two reverbs such as what the lexi provides, but most of the time I'll be using a delay/reverb summed pair, which is seemingly what the TC was designed to do. the footswitch jack is something else I see myself using. I'm also after a warmer, more natural sound, so again the TC scores a point over the lexi for me. I'll wait to hear a bit more before I commit to buy though.

A frustration with the TC m300 that I see they've not corrected on the 350, is the location of the selector switch for dual/stereo operation. It's on the back panel. As soon as the unit is racked it becomes nigh on inacessible, so you've got to pick a mode and hope you get it right. Other than that, love my M300, but can't carry out a comparison with the Lexicon really - last time I used one it was in a rush and in the dark, I was glad to get anything out of it!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived