LCD Projector replacement polarisers?

rooftop

Being a bit of a cheap skate and trying to find a replacement polariser for old-ish Toshiba projector. Seems to be quite a common failing on projectors, in that the polarising film between the light source and the LCD panels burn out, giving various coloured tinges and "hot spots" to the output image.

Model is Toshiba TLP-250 vintage 2002 and yes I know its time to chuck it in the bin - but it is otherwise perfect, low hours, and ideal for the conference room usage.... providing I can find a polariser, which can't cost more than a couple of quid to manufacture???

The only source I can see at the moment is to buy a "spares or repair" comparable (or identical) model on ebay.

Hmmm that's a thought - the polariser is only 2cm across the diagonal... I bet the piece in the swatch book is big enough to do the job. I don't have one to hand right now - does it say what the temperature rating is? the projector gets pretty hot

• 3 weeks later...

I have exactly the same issue with 6, yes 6, Toshiba TLP 260s. They all came to me used and obviously the previous owner hadn't dusted out the dead spiders occasionally.

I need to get these machines fixed pronto as they are specially requested for a show.

I haven't got spare filters, don't know where to get them or how much to pay, haven't got a service manual.

Do have a few screwdrivers...

If anyone has any advice or help to offer, I would be very grateful...

Before you go in gung-ho, be aware that a static discharge across an LCD panel will wipe the panel out, and the cost for a new prism (as the prism is generally brazed/soldered to the prism) will be more than the cost of a new machine of similar spec.

Also be aware that a knocking filters/polarisers can significantly impair the optical ability of the unit.

That said you probably know that anyway. I think it if were me, and they were knackered, I'd be looking to replace them, as they are only a 1500 lumen machine. The cost of the relevant bits and the time to clean an re-align them would probably be close the to the £400 that you could probably get a new unit for.

Thanks for the fast reply ! I will make sure that I shuffle my feet vigorously across a nylon carpet before I go in...not !

The TLP 260 is a compact short throw machine which is a fairly rare beast. It was actually specified for a job I am doing and they are quite rare. I am thinking that I could maybe cannibalise polarisers from some other dead machine with a different pathology...anyway, I have them now so I may as well try...

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

If anyone is interested I found this link...seems that some people are claiming success in solving this not uncommon problem...

XXXhttp://www.neufeld.newton.ks.us/electronics/?p=237

I've been watching ebay for the last few weeks and several TLP250/260/etc have come up, although of the ones that do not need a new lamp most also sound as if they have the same fault.

Also be aware that a knocking filters/polarisers can significantly impair the optical ability of the unit.

Not sure if this is a problem for this particular projector as I've had all three polarisers out of the unit and back in with no obvious deterioration the picture.

Any black LCD screen (eg, digital watch) uses a polarising filter in front of it. The electrical charge across the liquid crystal causes it to polarise one way, and if that direction is perpendicular to the filter, no light can be reflected from the rear surface causing that display segment to appear black.

So your cheapest option may be to buy some cheap LCD alarm clocks!

You could also get yourself some cheap "3D movie" glasses off eBay...

Archived