Classic Rock 4 piece band Active PA on £2500???

Bejam

Hi All.

I've been lurking for a while and didn't want to hijack the budget speakers thread, hence this new one. I'm a drummer in a 4 piece rock band - AC:DC, Whitesnake, Thin Lizzy covers etc.

At the mo, we're running as an independent backline - drums, bass and guitar - with a cheapo Soundlab powered mixer into unbranded plastic thingies handling vocals - it's OK, but since the bassist changed his cab, I can no longer hear my kick drum and it's frustrating me.

Right now I can afford to buy a new rig. I'd prefer to spend not more than around £2500, to include a mixer and cables. We can use the Soundlab setup as stage monitors.

I'd prefer to go active as I'll be hoiking it all around with my drums. I read on one of the other threads that there are some unbranded bloke-in-a-shed systems. Any recommendations? I'm looking for the best bang for buck, high quality and easy portability - not asking for much, I know.

So far, I've been looking at some well known brands - something like a pair of dB F12's or Opera Live 405's plus a pair of Sub15's, HK "Elias" system or even the Thomann own-brand stuff etc.

Most of the time we'll be gigging pubs - so ideally it would be a modular system that's scalable down just to vocal reinforcement. But I would like to be able to host the occasional garden party/mini festival and put the whole band through the PA - including Drums and Bass. It may be that I should go for a mid-sized setup like the dB F212's and hire in subs. But I live in the darkest depths of Cornwall and I'm currently attached to the idea of owning the whole rig and lending it out to people locally as and when needed.

I want to go for high quality - but I'd love to know if there's anything out there that breaks the rules in terms of how much money one has to spend. I'm also happy to add extra components further down the line if needed.

Any advice welcome - please be gentle. I'm a film editor by trade - so I work with recorded audio all the time. However, I realise that I'm a complete numpty with live audio and that I'll probably start off as "all the gear - no idea..."

Thanks in advance,

Ben.

I can't for the life of me remember the name of the fellow, but a chap on here has a forty line for sale, or had.

Personally I have heard the new (ish) dB flexsys gala recently, and I was blown away.

A little out of budget though.

The full range version (in one box) of the system is still good full range however, if you can find a dealer near you.

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~d...315~ID~8815.asp

it's OK, but since the bassist changed his cab, I can no longer hear my kick drum and it's frustrating me.

Aha - you didn't mention that in our conversation elsewhere...

Maybe you need a drum fill monitor next to you so that you can hear the kick - if you've never used one you will find that it makes much more of a difference than you think it might.

Cheers

James.

Thanks all.

As reported elsewhere on the SOS forum, I had a last minute change of heart (well, after ordering the HK passives and Yamaha mixer amp from Thomann and then realising I was going to get stitched up on credit card foreign transaction fees and forex rates) and ordered today a pair of the new dB Opera 605D full-rangers and the non-amped Yamaha 166CX desk. Got a great deal and service from Ian at Sounds Live.

I'm reckoning that if I do need extra low thump in the future, I can either hire them in or buy a pair of the dB 18Sub D's which are designed to integrate with the Opera 605 D's to make a reasonably handy but portable 3.2 kW RMS rig.

James, regarding the kick monitor, I think we need to take a look at the positioning of the bass cab or even persuade the bassist to go back to his original larger and deeper cab. In the meantime, I'll try and put the kick through our stage monitors and see if that helps.

Cheers,

Ben.

Thanks all.

As reported elsewhere on the SOS forum, I had a last minute change of heart (well, after ordering the HK passives and Yamaha mixer amp from Thomann and then realising I was going to get stitched up on credit card foreign transaction fees and forex rates) and ordered today a pair of the new dB Opera 605D full-rangers and the non-amped Yamaha 166CX desk. Got a great deal and service from Ian at Sounds Live.

I'm reckoning that if I do need extra low thump in the future, I can either hire them in or buy a pair of the dB 18Sub D's which are designed to integrate with the Opera 605 D's to make a reasonably handy but portable 3.2 kW RMS rig.

James, regarding the kick monitor, I think we need to take a look at the positioning of the bass cab or even persuade the bassist to go back to his original larger and deeper cab. In the meantime, I'll try and put the kick through our stage monitors and see if that helps.

Cheers,

Ben.

I've got a nice pair of RCF 705's up for sale.

I've got to say that I'm glad you moved away from mixer amps and powered desks for a further investment; they always seem to make expansion more difficult, as well as reducing the possibility for running with a multicore etc if you work with an engineer. I've never really understood the need for powered desks - active speakers seem a much more attractive option.

Archived