Cleaning - Re-Lubing Mixer Faders

Neil Hampson

I have just got a Spirit Folio desk 2nd hand and the faders are obviously very dirty, and the faders are very stiff; there does not appear to be any real damage electrically as there is very little crackling, in most channels there is none. I have read some of the older posts regarding ISA and mineral oils etc. and so far other than an air duster though the case I have not done anything to the desk yet.

I have seen two different DeOxit products, one is a plastic safe contact cleaner, the other is called a faderlube. would I need both of these? one to clean, the other to replace the original lubrication. or is the faderlube a cleaner as well

On a different note, I will be changing the fragile power connector for something a little more secure, I'm thinking an XLR4, but I'm not yet convinced it will fit in the case, if there are any other suggestions then please, let me know

Regarding the cleaning/lube of faders, I've always used both products...a good cleaning to start with then the Faderlube (once Cailube MCL) as a lubricant. The Faderlube does have some limited cleaning action, mainly on finger grease and the like, but doesn't do much at all on seriously dirty faders.

Bob

I have seen two different DeOxit products, one is a plastic safe contact cleaner, the other is called a faderlube. would I need both of these? one to clean, the other to replace the original lubrication. or is the faderlube a cleaner as well

Of course you could always try the search function!!

http://www.blue-room.org.uk/index.php?show...=fader+cleaning

I had done a search, however of the options suggested, (aside from ones regarding silly things like WD40 and ISA) I couldn't find a single recommendation for a product, only a range of products, DeOxit which after going on the web site I was unsure if I needed one or two of the range products I found.

Got the PSU sorted, Thanks.

Note to ModLand: can someone please correct my typo in the title?

Archived