Risk Assessmnet Pro-Forma

StuRobson

I've been trying to nailed down some basic risk assessments for the schools drama department - I just don't how I should design the form as I've seen two or three different ones and also the one I did 2 years ago - looks completely wrong and non-understandable

There are as you say lots of ways of laying out forms - I would say which type you use depends on what you are assessing - one version might be good for "single item assessment" - for example "risk assessment for use of a smoke machine", and a different way of writing it up might be appropriate for a "multi hazard" situation, for example a risk assessment for a fit -up. you could of course treat each seperate activity in the fit-up as a "single item", but I personally prefer the joined-up approach.

If you haven't already seen it, it's worth getting a copy of "A Practical Guide to Health and Safety in the Entertainment Industry" by Marko van Beek - it's published by Entertainment Technology Press and available by mail order from their website. It has a very clear way of explaining risk assessments, and good examples of forms to use. They are perhaps aimed at the "Events" side of things rathwer than running a theatre building or a long running show, but the principles are quite easy to adapt.

Archived