Trusts

Jiff

I suspect. from my own experience, that it could be better - but much depends on the board members. Usually you'll get a 'Director' - as in the boss, and then this person will be the operational head. The trust members are usually chosen for their business or local prominence level. They'll have regular meetings and the day to day business will remain the same from the perspective of the employees. It's rather like being run by a board of directors, some wll be 'fillers' others are really involved. when they work well, you don't know they're there, and having a proper boss available, rather than a manager with limited powers reporting to the council, is often better when you need things done. Once they get it off the ground, I think that most of their work has to be pretty transparent, with only finance and remuneration kept private.

It can certainly lead to many more funding opportunities, as often within a Local Authority there are many barriers to change. For example, we have prime land that could be developed as a mix of rehearsal/performance/workshop space with residential and commercial units above it. It should be self-financing, both in construction and through future rentals/leaseholds, yet there is not enough conviction within the Local Authority to push it forward. I suspect if we were a trust, the board would be able to push it forward without hesitation. Trusts are also able to tap into funding opportunities not available to Local Authorities.

On the other hand, trusts can be vunerable to cash flow issues, your employment terms may change and the prospect of funding being cut is a more critical problem, as there isn't the safety net of being part of a larger service within a Local Authority.

The main thing, I think, is a good director and a board willing to let the director get on with it without undue interference.

Archived