Music and Dance Concert

Jambo_UK

Hi every1,

Need your wisdom,

What type of licease do I nee for a basic basic it will be a charity talent show using original material written by the artist all the bands are preforming there own songs, etc. The venue has been used for shows before and I will be charging for tickets and also how do I get the licease if it is needed,

Thanks for the help

from

Jambo

To my knowledge the venue has held two major Plays and alot of musicial events and I think so they must have some type of PLI,

thanks for the help, If they do not have anything what should I get in the terms of the liceases and where would I get them? Would it be the local council or would I have to go to an national board of sometype?

thanks again

from

Jambo

I'm a tad confused if you mean a public entertainment licence or a performing rights licence? If it's performance you're worried about - if the performers do their own material then you don't need to even tell PRS unless the band have registered with them - this is quite unlikely unless they have a record deal and are actually making money.

public ents licence wise, then if the venue is a 'proper' one and not some sort of casual space you have found for the gig (like a warehouse, old brewery, old factory etc) then they probably have the licence already. If there is one, it should be stuck up on a wall somewhere, with a small plan and perimeter marked.

The placard reads something like:

"Licensed pursuant to Act of Parliament for Music and Dancing"

It will also state the venue capacity, which will help you decide on budget and ticket prices!

Even if you find a bit of paper on the wall, you still need to speak to the licence holder or local council and get hold of the full licence which will tell you lots of important details that you need to adhere to. If you want to use smoke machines, strobes, pyros etc. there'll be certain conditions on these aspects that you need to be aware of.

As you mentioned PLI, you'll also need to see whether the venues Public Liability Insurance will cover you or if you need to sort your own out.

Archived