RJ45 Cat5 Cable drum

Doug Siddons

Pricing up a cat5 multicore and the price skyrockets when you wish to add a cable drum to it. 20 meters no drum from Stage costs £85, 50 metres on a drum costs £262 does anyone know why there is such a big difference?

(NOT having a go at Stage as similar pricing from various others )

It's only £50 for the drum assuming the per meter price of the cable doesn't change on the jump from 20m to 50m.

£50 for what I assume to be a metal drum with the cable having to be wound onto it by a person at the Stage Depot. That doesn't seem too bad to me.

Josh

Have to agree really. Drums do cost a bit, whether they're un-necessarily expensive or not I don't know. One would expect the price per metre to drop a little as the cable length gets longer, though maybe not from 20m to 50m.

I'm assuming this is good quality cable suitable for constant flexing etc etc. I'd certainly hope so at that price.

Rob makes a good point. Basic Cat 5 is designed for permanent installations and has solid cores. However, there are other versions with stranded cores which might be suitable in an application where the cable will be frequently reeled in and out on the drum. I suppose it's too much to expect that the stuff on the drum will be stranded cable for that application?

Bob

Pricing up a cat5 multicore and the price skyrockets when you wish to add a cable drum to it. 20 meters no drum from Stage costs £85, 50 metres on a drum costs £262 does anyone know why there is such a big difference?

(NOT having a go at Stage as similar pricing from various others )

We use standard Cat5 - about £50 buys you a 300metre box and we cut and terminate it on site as required for a lot of jobs. The stuff on reels is usually Tour Grade Cat5 which is expensive. I don't know if it's any harder wearing though!

We use standard Cat5 - about £50 buys you a 300metre box and we cut and terminate it on site as required for a lot of jobs. The stuff on reels is usually Tour Grade Cat5 which is expensive. I don't know if it's any harder wearing though!

Stranded CAT5 may work fine in many cases, but if it used with Ethernet based equipment the 100m limit on cable length applies only to solid conductor cable. As far as E'net goes stranded cable is for patch cable only as it has a much shorter length limit.

If your application doesn't need the full bandwidth of E'net it can probably run on stranded cable as the cable length limits are based on full bandwidth. Lower data rates can use longer cable, or stranded cable.

Mac

Ah - but will it sound as good. The standard solid core grey suff you get in a 305M box wouldnt have the same stereo image, balance, depth, bottom end, clarity, vocal presence unless it was dipped in snake oil and painted some shade of rare earth green. ;)

Archived