special license for flying set?

Michael_hunt

today I was talking about raising some lx bars and the person replied with this

"if it is going to be raised and lowered during the show you have to have a special license"

Is this true, he also said it costs around 20k. This is new on me as I would have thought it was covered in insurance.

Not true.

However it must still comply with the lifting opperations and lifting equipment regulations (LOLLER) and you may be best of checking with you insurace company.

What costs 20k? One of the non-existant licences?

"if it is going to be raised and lowered during the show you have to have a special license"

More nonsense again I'm afraid. Ike got there first this time.

One other point to mention is that it is possible that a venue's public entertainment licence contains something relating to lifting or flying operations. However, I've never come across this before (and have read a fair number of licences and related paperwork in my time). It's not the sort of thing local authorities are particularly concerned about, because it is already well regulated in law. (Electrical and fire safety are less clearly defined and hence licences often contain a fair amount of detail in these areas).

And one of the key things to consider in a risk assessment of flying is not whether it happens "during the show" but whether people will be underneath a flown object whilst it is being moved.

I don't know where some of these people get their ideas from.

It's not particularly good practice to bring winches in and out unless you really need too because as Will says they are noisey, and most of all very, very slow! :rolleyes:

The moment would have long gone by the time the bar had eventually got to where it was meant to be.

If it was on counterweights it'd be no problem, as it could be flown to the correct height in a matter of seconds. Again you just have to be careful to make sure if it happened during a show everyone is aware of the event, etc etc.

Stu

Archived