small budget mixer with midi switchable fx

chatterbox

Some of the allen and heath mixwiz range may suit your specification, though they're not small small, as they are rack width.

thanks for that - but they are too big and too expensive for this particular customer - I am talking budget type mixers and small physical size as it is only for a solo act...

I doubt you'll find something small and budget with midi switch effects.

Would footswitched effects be a workable compromise?

no, the customer wants to do as little as possible on stage... so he will run scs software which will switch the midi, and he only has to start each track - which we will do via a footswitch hooked up to the computer via usb etc.. the only alternative would be a small mixer and a small midi fx unit....

Could you run the processing on the computer? Depends on the application but if it's to add reverb you might be able to get away with bringing an audio output into the desk to create a wet component to mix with the original. I wouldn't have thought you would want to run the main vocals through an AD-DA process though, depends on application.

Looking for a small budget mixer ( 6-8 channels) with on board fx, and midi input, so that the fx can be switched externally via midi.

The answer is Roland.

The old VM-3100 fits the bill exactly, but has been off the market for years. Eight mic channels (two with switchable phantom), and two stereo line ins, and tiny. They still come up on eBay though, with regular monotony, which is where I got mine, for $168 USD plus shipping to NZ. They have global power supplies so you can snag from the USA.

The M-16DX and its smaller bretheren are still available, and I think will fit the bill, though you would need to check the MIDI implementation, but I cant imagine it wont be as useful as their older kit.

Archived