Counterweight system control ropes

johnlinford

Having spent the afternoon tightening control ropes, I've been wondering if there's a better system for doing so. Currently ours tie off with a round turn and hitches on a shackle at the base of the system, which can be tedious to keep the tension in while tightening. Anyone have any better systems?

Some ideas:

Bottle strainer type arrangement - biggest problem is fitting this in between the cradle and the base of the cage

Ratcheting pulley thing - not sure one would exist for 22mm manilla

Diverting the rope to a cleat of some sort, the rope isn't strictly always under tension but I'm not sure that would be a big problem

Also, saw in the Flints catalogue an alternative hemp based control rope - anyone use it? Is it better/worse than the manilla?

Some kind of up/down adjustment on the lower hand-rope pulley to take up the slack, but this would probably need to be designed in from the off. Or using something such as a Spinlock rope clutch to tie off the rope, but they're expensive and do they come in 22mm size?

I assume that this is a double purchase system.

I would get rid of all the manilla, horrible splintery line, and replace it with Chatham Hemp which is an artificial hemp available from Rope Assemblies I think. It is softer and quite tactile and does not splinter. It does stretch like a tw*t though.

• 2 weeks later...

stick with grade 1 manilla, it wears in after time and at the right temperature is very controllable.

we used to clamp the cradle to the frame with carver clamps, allowing the knot to be tensioned (not too tight)

without having to rush. ( round turn and 2 1/2 hitches was my preferred adjustable knot.)

cheers

Martin :D :)

Archived