Avid alternative

gallente

Hey

I've just downloaded Avid DV free and its just doing my head in. To get a really simple effect, you have to go through the most complicated procedure.

So I was wondering if anyone can offer and alternative program that gives the same effect. Ofcourse it has to be free, because as usual I have NO budget at all.

Cheers

Sorry I probably should have said what I need. I've already got video clips, but I just need to put them together with some transition effects. Windows movie maker dosnt give me what I need.

And on some of the clips I need to add a text strap, like on the news, where it says the reporters name at the bottome of the screen.

Pinacle do a whole range of Commercial Editing packages, Including..

CinéWave

Liquid blue

Liquid chrome

Liquid Edition

Liquid silver

TARGA 3000

As for having problems with Avid, one of the benefits of Free DV is that it is essentialy the same controll structure as any of the other Avid products from Xpress DV through Xpress, Media Composer, Film Composer, Adrenaline to Symphony. Basicaly if you can master the interface (which takes a bit of time I'll admit) you should be able ti just sit down at any other avid and just play.) Oh and if any of our editors are anything to go by customising the keyboard is your friend.

Admitidly Avid suits itself more as a cutting rather than a effects tool - not that it can't do effects, just that doing cuts is encredibly easy.

If you want an effects tool try looking at FCP (~£700) or Adobe Premiere + After FX (~£170+£350) or Avid DV Express (~£430)

I don't want to sound harsh but You might be saying that I want access to some of the best software that these manafacturers make to service a very limited market using the cutting edge of R&D, but I don't want to pay for it.

If you want to go down the demo route, Discreet have a 30day license version of Combustion on their website to download and play with, This is an Effects / Compositing package. Avid have a demo, as you know it's Free and you've already downloaded it.

Good Luck

Buy or Borrow a Mac. Comes with iMovie, a billion times better than MovieMaker. And there are loads of pluggins available. Or alternatively try the very friendly and informative bunch found on the SimplyDV forums at www.simplydv.co.uk/simplybb

Archived